none
Custom fields: local flag formula has problems referencing enterprise flag value? RRS feed

• Question

• Dears,

I would like to use some enterprise flag fields for the GANTT chart formatting.  Which apparently I cannot do.

So next step is to employ local custom flag fields which refer to the enterprise flags.  But this does not work.

When I refer to an enterprise flag field, the formula yields nothing.  Even a simple, straightforward reference to the enterprise flag with no other formula gives me zilch.

Is this a known "feature"?

Monday, September 9, 2013 10:43 AM

All replies

• I may have a clue here - this seems to fail only when working with sub-projects.

Which is a shame because the whole point was to create a multi-project summary view.  I need to have a custom local flag field which is used by all projects alike.

Is this possible?  Can I somehow make use of the global template to ensure that the local custom flag fields are applied universally for all projects?

Monday, September 9, 2013 12:00 PM
  • Sorry, no. You can only control enterprise custom fields centrally.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 1:18 PM
  • Thanks Gary, yes I found that the global template does not allow me to apply custom field formulas.

As I stated in my last post, I have found that this is a failure due to the master/sub project issue.  If I apply the formula to a local custom field in my master project, expecting that it will just calculate and make use of the values in the tasks of the sub-projects, it will not work.

I needed to apply the formula to the flag field in each sub-project in order to calculate correctly.

It's a nuisance, but as long as I make this part of the template, all future projects will be fine with it.  And it's just been a bit of donkey work going back and updating all existing projects.  Thankfully we only have about 20 or so at present.

Cheers.

• Edited by Nicodemus88 Tuesday, September 10, 2013 3:01 PM
    Tuesday, September 10, 2013 3:00 PM