Unable to save display settings when using three monitors RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to set up a three-monitor desktop, but have run into issues when adding the third display. The display aren't all identical, my centre monitor is a 24 inch Asus, and the two displays on its sides are old IBM monitors. My centre display has an issue with its DVI port so it is connected using an HDMI cable that feeds into a Mini Displayport adapter which plugs into my machine (My graphics card only has one HDMI and one DVI port.) The second monitor is connected via a DVI to HDMI cable (one end is DVI, the other is HDMI) and plugs into the HDMI port. The third monitor is connected to the DVI port on my graphics card using a regular DVI cable.

Both monitors work fine when I use only one, but when I try to extend the desktop onto both at the same time I cannot apply the changes and the error message "Unable to save display settings" appears. I know my graphics card supports using up to four monitors (My card is a Radeon HD 7970) so I figure it must be something to do with windows. How can I use all three at once?

Saturday, March 21, 2015 10:32 PM

Answers

• Hi Oliver ,

Have you tried to update the display adapter driver from the device manager to have a check ?It is recommended to download the latest driver from the manufacturer website .

Here is a similar symptom for reference link :
    Unable to save display settings and Multiple Monitors
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/a30a3bfd-c163-40f8-98ac-c85b7441797b/unable-to-save-display-settings-and-multiple-monitors

Please try Drew L`s suggestion to change the display resolution to a lower value to have a check .
    Your symptom is most similar to TV-Updted`s symptom and it is resolved by the DVI+DVI+DP combination .
    As Dana-GMA suggested ,we can use USB adapter for it's 3rd connection if it is possible .
    According to Bograt1960`s suggestion ,we can power cycle the monitor to have a check.

Just as Rick Dee explained,it is most likely related to the adapter or the driver issue ,it is also recommended to look for help from the manufacturer for help .

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 23, 2015 9:11 AM

All replies

• This is all controlled by your display adapter(s) and the display adapter(s) software drivers.  It is not a direct function of Windows 7.  Windows only sends the video information to the video cards and the software drivers for the cards control the output from the cards.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Sunday, March 22, 2015 12:37 PM
  • Hi Oliver ,

Have you tried to update the display adapter driver from the device manager to have a check ?It is recommended to download the latest driver from the manufacturer website .

Here is a similar symptom for reference link :
    Unable to save display settings and Multiple Monitors
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/a30a3bfd-c163-40f8-98ac-c85b7441797b/unable-to-save-display-settings-and-multiple-monitors

Please try Drew L`s suggestion to change the display resolution to a lower value to have a check .
    Your symptom is most similar to TV-Updted`s symptom and it is resolved by the DVI+DVI+DP combination .
    As Dana-GMA suggested ,we can use USB adapter for it's 3rd connection if it is possible .
    According to Bograt1960`s suggestion ,we can power cycle the monitor to have a check.

Just as Rick Dee explained,it is most likely related to the adapter or the driver issue ,it is also recommended to look for help from the manufacturer for help .

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 23, 2015 9:11 AM
  • Thank you for your reply, I'll try everything I can and hope it works!
    Monday, March 23, 2015 10:33 PM