Convert single server into farm? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Community

Not to long I started using Sharepoint.  I created a domain controller with Windows 2003 Server,  Sharepoint Central Administration, DNS server and the web application development(I think its called an application server).  At first I installed WSS 3.0 then I installed MOSS 2007.  When I want to see the web application I click on WSS 3.0 and type in the url of the application in the layouts folder and the web page appears so I don't know how MOSS 2007 even  plays a part in my installation nor do I know if WFE is another name for the application server.

In any event everything seems to be working so now, I would like to add another server and make it a farm.  The question is since I configured the signle server to one day be able to become a farm,  the single server contains SQL Server along with Sharepoint, DNS server and application how do I make it into a farm and does Sharepoint need to be on each server in the farm and if so do I need a separate license for each installation of Sharepoint in the farm?  But just as important, can I or  should I separate the SQL Server database , the Sharepoint databases, the DNS server and Application server and move them to the new server that I will add making it a farm and how much hard disk space and ram do I need on each of the two servers in the farm?

Thank you
        Shabeaut

• Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, September 21, 2011 7:03 AM admin q (From:SharePoint - General Question and Answers and Discussion (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 11:59 PM

Answers