none
SharePoint Online permissions linked to Outlook online?

Question

• We have a hybrid environment where user inboxes are on our on-premise exchange server and we use AD syncing up to Office 365.

We have always been able to change permissions as needed regardless of whether the users email existed in the O365 environment or not. Now when attempting to edit permissions, Sharepoint Online will through errors that no mailbox is setup as it attempts to connect to Outlook. We would like to continue using the hybrid solution while also editing the permissions and accounts which are synced up to O365. Anyone know how our end users can manage SharePoint online site permissions without having an mailbox in O365??

Monday, January 23, 2017 6:31 PM

All replies

• Hi DASD-IT,

How did you get error? When you edit site permission or list permission? Could you please provide details about the issue?

From the error message, when editing the user permission, it attempts to connect to outlook.

To troubleshoot the issue, switch to other user to edit the permission to check if the same issue will occur.

Check if the user has the proper permission to edit permission.

After all, if the issue still exists, you could consider creating mailbox for the user in office 365.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 9:22 AM
  • The issue is with editing and viewing, the user has full rights and is the creator and administrator of the site. We have a hybrid environment and are not interested in migrating the mailboxes at this time. It did not use to work like this. Now it appears the only way to change SharePoint site permissions is through Outlook/Exchange Online which most of our users are not using. We keep emails on-premise for compliance reasons so migrating them is not feasible. Why was this changed and what solution does Microsoft propose?
    • Edited by DASD-IT Tuesday, January 24, 2017 3:15 PM
    Tuesday, January 24, 2017 3:15 PM
  • Hi DASD-IT,

Could you please share the details about the error?

Per my test in my SharePoint online, if I configure hybrid environment in SharePoint admin center, I go to edit the permission in site settings, all can work.

And you could consider creating mailbox for the user who needs to edit the permission in SharePoint online.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, January 27, 2017 7:42 AM