Pros and Cons of Windows 7 GUI RRS feed

• General discussion

• The "Comments about Windows 7 RC" topic is locked so I'll just add my (valuable) comments here:

Good:
    • Quick Launch Icons are accessible through shortcut keys (e.g. <FLAG>+<T> - <First letter of Link name >)
    • Connecting to Wi-Fi networks has become more streamlined and easy.

Bad:
    • Still impaired keyboard support (started with Vista):

• File Open/Save dialogs don't provide keyboard shortcuts for creating new folders.
      • The Split bar can not be moved by using keyboard shortcuts.
    • While in earlier versions of Windows all personal files had been stored in sub folders of "My Documents", now all predefined personal file folders are stored directly into the user's personal folder. This makes taking backups and moving all personal files to a separate disk VERY cumbersome.
    • Windows Explorer starts having the focus set into the ListView panel (started with Vista). It's always an unnecessary <SHIFT>+<TAB> to get the focus to the TreeView. It's VERY unlikely that someone EVER will need to do anything in the default startup location!
    • The Windows Explorer TreeView doesn't scroll horizontally. Following a couple of folders in the TreeView using the keyboard cursor keys get's you lost in invisibility.
    • Too much space left between each of the Quick Launch and System Tray icons. An unnecessary waste of space.
    • It's hard to tell quickly which window is the active window if Windows Aero is turned on. The only cue is the red closing button in the right upper corner of a window, which is rather invisible for the eye's corner if a reddish background is active (having, e.g., background scheme "Landscapes" activated). The active window should be much more easy to identify without losing focus on what you're working on.

One more idea comes to my mind:

When copying a number of files, Windows copies each file one after the other if the user has selected and dragged them to the target in a single operation. But what if you want to add some more files to the copy operation? Windows then would start a second, parallel, copy - slowing down the whole process significantly!!

Why doesn't Windows just add the new files to the first copy operation window and why doesn't it then just copy the new files after the copy process of the first batch has finished? It would have done the same thing if the user would have selected them all right in the first place.

So: Please create a copy queue for the copy/move process having new files simply being added to, so that the copy process is not going to be struck down by two simultaneous copy processes interrupting each other.

Axel
    Monday, August 31, 2009 8:12 PM

All replies

• File Open/Save dialogs don't provide keyboard shortcuts for creating new folders.
    Actually, CTRL+SHFT+N should create a new folder, even in the file dialogs. I'm not at my Windows 7 PC atm, so I can't check... :-(
    Monday, August 31, 2009 10:17 PM
  • You're right. I've just tested it successfully...

(In earlier versions of Windows it has been <ALT>+<F> - <W> - <F>.)

Great, thanks for the hint!
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 12:15 AM
  • I have made a **unofficial** comments thread for win7 RC, would you like to re-post your post there?

Link:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprogeneral/thread/4880b91c-ac7d-48ff-a8e1-24db81eefaf9
    Hello! Please reply back, promptly if possible with the results to solutions to your problem!

Curious about Win7 min. system requirements?
    Readme: Older ATI, Intel onboard graphics, or NVIDIA graphics cards on Windows 7
    Windows 7 tips
    - JoelbX
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 2:36 AM
  • Sure, I'll be glad to add them there. I'm adding right now...
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 11:36 AM
  • More Bad:

• Copy dialogs don't show target folder. They currently only show the parent of the target folder... = useless.
    • The Start menu "All Programs" search function can not be handled with by using the keyboard. It's not possible to get a context menu for one of the found programs. Although it's possible to select a program in the Found Programs list using <ARROW UP>/<ARROW DOWN> keys, pressing the <CTXTMNU> key doesn't show a selected program's context menu.
    • Although I've selected "hide mouse cursor when typing on keyboard" in the Mouse control panel, the mouse cursor never gets hidden. This is VERY annoying. Clicking into an edit box (or the browser's address bar) that bloody caret always gets in the way when typing. Please fix!
      (Currently this option only works on the classic EDIT window class which is hardly used nowadays. This should not be a particular window class's property but a generic caret property.)
    • Edited by BetterToday Monday, September 14, 2009 8:09 AM
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 2:32 AM
  • BetterToday wrote:

It's hard to tell quickly which window is the active window if Windows Aero is turned on. The only cue is the red closing button in the right upper corner of a window, which is rather invisible for the eye's corner if a reddish background is active (having, e.g., background scheme "Landscapes" activated). The active window should be much more easy to identify without losing focus on what you're working on.

Welcome to the Aero world of subtlety.  Way back when (before Vista even) I used to color my window titles brightly so I could easily tell which window was active.

You can "tint" the window title a bit under Aero glass.  My window title bars now go from medium gray to bluish gray when the window is current.  That's about as good as it gets.  :-/

-Noel
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 4:02 AM
  • I think the jump lists are a huge improvement.  I have Remote Desktop on the taskbar and the jump list has all my servers in one list.  Very convient.  If icons could wear out, my remote desktop icon would be dead.
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 3:27 PM
  • ...added another comment above...
    Monday, September 14, 2009 8:35 AM