none
What is the differents between Policies and Preferences in Group policy Management Editor RRS feed

• Question

• What is the differents between Policies and Preferences in Group policy Management Editor?

Sunday, February 23, 2014 9:13 AM

Answers

• A policy is locking a setting down while a preference is a configuration you prefer and which the user can typically alter.

Blogging about Windows for IT pros at www.theexperienceblog.com

Sunday, February 23, 2014 9:15 AM
  • This article may help: http://blogs.technet.com/b/grouppolicy/archive/2008/03/04/gp-policy-vs-preference-vs-gp-preferences.aspx

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Sunday, February 23, 2014 8:17 PM
  • Policies: If you delete a policy in GPO it deletes its registry files form the clients. Policies don't tattoo the registry. Policies Settings are permanent as long policy is in effect i.e. Desktop Backgrond. Policies are applied at Computer Startup, User logon and Manual and automatic refresh. Takes Precedence over Preferences.

Preferences: Even if you delete a policy form Preferences tab the registry files will still available on the systems. Preferences tattooed the registry if you want to remove the registry entries you have to do it manually. Preferences exampl is i.e. mapped drive. Settings applied with preferences are not grayed out. Not available in Local GPO.

Usefull for

Desktop Icons/Shortcuts

Url

Drive Map

File Copy, Update, delete

Thanks

Sunday, February 23, 2014 9:39 PM

All replies

• A policy is locking a setting down while a preference is a configuration you prefer and which the user can typically alter.

Blogging about Windows for IT pros at www.theexperienceblog.com

Sunday, February 23, 2014 9:15 AM
  • This article may help: http://blogs.technet.com/b/grouppolicy/archive/2008/03/04/gp-policy-vs-preference-vs-gp-preferences.aspx

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Sunday, February 23, 2014 8:17 PM
  • Policies: If you delete a policy in GPO it deletes its registry files form the clients. Policies don't tattoo the registry. Policies Settings are permanent as long policy is in effect i.e. Desktop Backgrond. Policies are applied at Computer Startup, User logon and Manual and automatic refresh. Takes Precedence over Preferences.

Preferences: Even if you delete a policy form Preferences tab the registry files will still available on the systems. Preferences tattooed the registry if you want to remove the registry entries you have to do it manually. Preferences exampl is i.e. mapped drive. Settings applied with preferences are not grayed out. Not available in Local GPO.

Usefull for

Desktop Icons/Shortcuts

Url

Drive Map

File Copy, Update, delete

Thanks

Sunday, February 23, 2014 9:39 PM