none
Full screen on dual monitor does not restore correctly RRS feed

• Question

• I hope this is clear enough, if not then let me know and I'll try to share a list of pics or something.

I have a host machine running Windows 10 1903, with a guest VM also running 1903.

The host has two monitors, 1080p and 1440p.

When I run the VM in full screen mode, it maximize the enhanced session window and it fills the 2 monitors correctly, but if I minimize that enhanced session window and try to restore it again, the session only maximizes on a single host window, which is a problem since it should maximize on both monitors, not just one.

The only workaround I found is to close the session and reopen a new one, that takes a lot of time specially I need to login to the VM every time I need to do that.

How can I restore the session to full screen on both monitors without the need to close it first?

Noorish

Sunday, June 2, 2019 9:07 PM

All replies

• Kindly go through the workarounds here:

Using Multiple Monitors

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

Monday, June 3, 2019 12:08 AM
  • Sorry, I should have mentioned that I'm using Hyper-V, not VMware.

None of the steps in your link applies to my environment, although I'm starting to believe that VMware Workstation Pro might just be the ultimate solution (an expensive one too)

Noorish

Monday, June 3, 2019 6:14 AM
  • Hi ,

Thanks for your posting here.

This is a quick note to let you know that I am currently performing research on this issue and will get back to you as soon as possible. I appreciate your patience.

If you have any updates during this process, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Monday, June 3, 2019 9:53 AM
  • Hello Candy, 

Any luck with your research? need any logs/screen shots from my side to further move the solution forward? I'd really love to stick to Hyper-V to complete my work instead of paying 200+ USD to solve this problem. 

Noorish

• Edited by Noor K Wednesday, June 5, 2019 6:55 PM Wording
    Wednesday, June 5, 2019 6:49 PM
  • Hi Noorish,

In my lab, a host machine running Windows 10 1903 with two monitors.

When I run the VM in full screen mode , minimize the session and then restore again, it still fills the 2 monitors correctly.

How about the other VMs? Did all the VM occur the same issue?

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Thursday, June 6, 2019 10:01 AM
  • Hello Candy, 

I have installed 2 additional VMs to test different OSes. 

• Ubuntu 19.4: after installing and configuring XRDP, enhanced session mode was enabled, I was able to login to the VM in full screen mode, minimize the session and restore it again in full screen, no problems here.
    • Windows Server 2019: session mode was enabled by default, I have installed all updates on the VM and connected to it in full screen mode, minimized the session and restored it again, and this behaved exactly like Windows 10 VM, where the session is showing two VM monitors, but the restore was done on a single host monitor, both the VM monitors are cramed into a single host monitor.

The event log on the Windows VMs shows that the host session requested two virtual monitors and selected their sizes correctly based on the physical available monitors. I'm not sure what does "origin" refers too though.

Log Name:      Microsoft-Windows-RemoteDesktopServices-RdpCoreTS/Operational
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-RemoteDesktopServices-RdpCoreTS
    Date:          6/6/2019 7:42:36 PM
    Event ID:      168
    Task Category: RemoteFX module
    Level:         Information
    Keywords:      
    User:          NETWORK SERVICE
    Computer:      xxx
    Description:
    The resolution requested by the client: Monitor 0: (2560, 1440), origin: (1920, 0). Server: xxx
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-RemoteDesktopServices-RdpCoreTS" Guid="{1139c61b-b549-4251-8ed3-27250a1edec8}" />
        <EventID>168</EventID>
        <Version>0</Version>
        <Level>4</Level>
        <Task>4</Task>
        <Opcode>11</Opcode>
        <Keywords>0x4000000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2019-06-06T16:42:36.747140900Z" />
        <EventRecordID>9433</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation ActivityID="{31155ec5-29f9-4aa4-bc99-d9b44eb0df46}" />
        <Execution ProcessID="1232" ThreadID="5372" />
        <Channel>Microsoft-Windows-RemoteDesktopServices-RdpCoreTS/Operational</Channel>
        <Computer>xxx</Computer>
        <Security UserID="S-1-5-20" />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data Name="MonitorNum">0</Data>
        <Data Name="MonitorWidth">2560</Data>
        <Data Name="MonitorHeight">1440</Data>
        <Data Name="MonitorX">1920</Data>
        <Data Name="MonitorY">0</Data>
        <Data Name="ServerName">xxx</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Log Name:      Microsoft-Windows-RemoteDesktopServices-RdpCoreTS/Operational
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-RemoteDesktopServices-RdpCoreTS
    Date:          6/6/2019 7:42:36 PM
    Event ID:      168
    Task Category: RemoteFX module
    Level:         Information
    Keywords:      
    User:          NETWORK SERVICE
    Computer:      xxx
    Description:
    The resolution requested by the client: Monitor 1: (1920, 1080), origin: (0, 240). Server: xxx
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-RemoteDesktopServices-RdpCoreTS" Guid="{1139c61b-b549-4251-8ed3-27250a1edec8}" />
        <EventID>168</EventID>
        <Version>0</Version>
        <Level>4</Level>
        <Task>4</Task>
        <Opcode>11</Opcode>
        <Keywords>0x4000000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2019-06-06T16:42:36.747143700Z" />
        <EventRecordID>9434</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation ActivityID="{31155ec5-29f9-4aa4-bc99-d9b44eb0df46}" />
        <Execution ProcessID="1232" ThreadID="5372" />
        <Channel>Microsoft-Windows-RemoteDesktopServices-RdpCoreTS/Operational</Channel>
        <Computer>xxx</Computer>
        <Security UserID="S-1-5-20" />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data Name="MonitorNum">1</Data>
        <Data Name="MonitorWidth">1920</Data>
        <Data Name="MonitorHeight">1080</Data>
        <Data Name="MonitorX">0</Data>
        <Data Name="MonitorY">240</Data>
        <Data Name="ServerName">xxx</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

I've included this images as well, where each monitor is showing a different color for better clarity.

• Edited by Noor K Thursday, June 6, 2019 8:27 PM Format
    Thursday, June 6, 2019 5:39 PM
  • Here are some images to help you understand my problem.

This the host monitor 1 (1440p) and monitor 2 (1080p).

Host Monitor 1 and 2

And then, this the VM in full screen mode.

VM going full screen

And here is the VM session after minimizing and restoring window, you'll notice it only restores on the first monitor (1440p)

VM session restored.

Noorish

Thursday, June 6, 2019 8:47 PM
  • Hello Candy, 

Any luck with my case? 

Noorish

Wednesday, June 12, 2019 6:24 PM
  • I am also getting resize/rendering problems in 1903 guest machines, especially on VMC connections.  Upon connection, all opened windows will consolidate into the primary window and it's really annoying. :P  I am also getting random rendering problems where moving the mouse around will cause a very obvious flickering on several monitors (lower ones).

Cursor will also lock into "text input" mode and the only way to clear it that I have found is to invoke the Windows Menu via Windows key.

This does not happen with 1809 clients and unfortunately I cannot revert as I was a knucklehead and deleted previous Windows versions to save space.  Should have made a checkpoint I AM NOT VERY GOOD AT THIS. 😂

Saturday, June 15, 2019 5:28 AM
  • I have this created in Feedback Hub, FWIW: https://aka.ms/AA5c0ns
    • Edited by Mike-EEE Saturday, June 15, 2019 5:30 AM
    Saturday, June 15, 2019 5:30 AM
  • I was a hair away from buying VMware, since I couldn't find a resolution for this :(

I'm up voting your feedback hub comment, going to wait a little bit more and see how it goes. 

Noorish

Saturday, June 15, 2019 5:59 AM
  • Hah... I, too, am starting to regret my investments in Hyper-V due to the "support" when things go wrong, as well.  You get what you pay for. :P  It would seem that this Hyper-V product -- which once had passion and drive around it -- is simply sitting around collecting a paycheck these days.
    • Edited by Mike-EEE Saturday, June 15, 2019 6:10 AM
    Saturday, June 15, 2019 6:09 AM
  • @Noor, which video card(s) do you have?  I am running two NVidia cards and have been thinking this is the issue.  Perhaps a driver thing.

Saturday, June 15, 2019 10:17 AM
  • You might be into something, I'm using the Asus Rog Strix 1080 ti OC edition, latest drivers from Nvidia.

Noorish

Saturday, June 15, 2019 10:50 AM
  • OK cool, FWIW I was on 418.x and was experiencing these problems, and then upgraded to 430.86 (the latest for me) and the issues still persisted with the latest drivers.

I also have a thread open on GeForce forums as well:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1152512/geforce-drivers/1903-hyper-v-guest-rendering-issues/

• Edited by Mike-EEE Saturday, June 15, 2019 12:27 PM
    Saturday, June 15, 2019 12:26 PM
  • I had 430.86 originally installed, replaced it with 419.67 from Asus but that didn't work.

Used Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) latest version, reinstalled 430.86. Nope, same problem.

Installed Windows 1809 on VM, and boom, it's working as it should. 

My conclusion: 1903 has a bug, it's not the display driver, its not the resolution settings, there's something wrong with scaling. 

I'm going to talk to some people tomorrow to see if there is anything to do about the bug, did you just say you fixed the problem with a driver update? 

Noorish

Saturday, June 15, 2019 4:57 PM
  • Whoa!  You installed 1809?  HOW DID YOU DO SUCH MAGIC? :)  I tried using a mediatool of 1809 but it forced installed 1903 instead.

Yes I can confirm that 1809 instances do not have this problem.  The problem in my case is that I was a knucklehead and deleted previous version of Windows (and also didn't take a snapshot -- double knucklehead) due to a backup error that I was getting that said I was running out of space.

Also, to be clear, no I did not fix this with a driver update.  Unfortunately I had a typo when I originally sent my last message that was fixed shortly after.

Saturday, June 15, 2019 5:05 PM
  • Lol I had the 1809 iso image saved, but I'm sure you can find it online if you look around. If you know someone with MSDN, you could ask them for a copy.

I've just converted my vhd w a vmdk, installed VMware and attached the disk, everything is working great, even better than hyper-v, problem is that I would need to pay for a license to enable TPM for disk encryption, a hefty 200 USD just for that option.

I'll give the MS team another chance, I'll talk to them personally tomorrow and see how it goes.

Noorish

Saturday, June 15, 2019 5:42 PM
  • Ahhhh... talk about a roller coaster!  I *do* have a 1809 .iso!  But I just tried it and it will not allow me to select anything but hosing the entire install:

So there goes that idea.  I am actually on OK ground right now.  As long as I do not close the window things should be fine. :P  Turning of "Smart Sizing" fixed all the wonky rendering problems, so now it's just a matter of not logging out, which if I use VMC should not happen for a while.

We'll see how I can fare.  I really hope you can work some MSFT magic.  Best of luck!

Saturday, June 15, 2019 6:04 PM
  • So I spoke to the MS team about this, and their response is as follow:

- This is a well known issue for them, with currently no fix.

- Their advise was to roll back to Windows 1809.

- A possible work around (that didn't work for me) was to disable Advanced RemoteFX graphics for remote apps in Group Policy, this is a related article: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/Lync/en-US/4405961e-41ec-4626-96ee-028ea429dd46/related-to-bug-in-windows-10-build-1803-disabled-use-advanced-remotefx-graphics?forum=winserverTS

With no solution coming soon, I'm moving forward to buying VMware Workstation Pro.

Noorish

Sunday, June 16, 2019 8:33 PM
  • UGH... they essentially released broken software and that is OK with them.  Sad. :P

It's interesting how it's "well-known" but no one has stepped up to fix it.  MSFT used to take pride in their software, at one point fixing issues before releasing them to customers.  You know, the way that VMWare does it. ;)

Anyways, I appreciate you taking the time to share, Noor!  Even if it is disappointing news.

Monday, June 17, 2019 3:04 AM
  • BOOM!

Set this setting to Disabled on your guest 1903 OS and reboot.  Fixed it for me!

• Proposed as answer by Mike-EEE Monday, June 17, 2019 7:38 AM
    Monday, June 17, 2019 3:39 AM