none
Project Server 2003 Enterprise Global / Client crash RRS feed

• Question

• Visual Basic error ”File not found” in MSP2003

Because an update of the Enterprise Global file containing a lot of macros has failed, the Enterprise Global seems to be corrupted on the server-side. When I open the MSP2003 client a Visual Basic error showing “File not found” is displayed multiple times. When I press OK about  to 10 times, MSP is opened with a new schedule, but when I load the Visual Basic editor, the “File not found” error is displayed multiple times again. Finally the Visual Basic editor is loaded but within 5-10 seconds, the MSP application crash (Microsoft Project has stopped working”.

How is it possible to restore the Enterprise Global file without creating a complete database restore?

Peter Kestenholz, MVP Partner and Business Consultant Projectum
    Monday, October 3, 2011 6:19 PM

Answers

• Hi Peter,

Before trying any of the methods below, make sure to backup your environment!!!

Open Microsoft Project and set VBA security to high to prevent loading any macro's (and macro modules). Close and re-open Microsoft Project. If this works, you might be able to open the Enterprise Global and remove the fualty modules. Although a different error message, take a look at this blog post that describes the procedure: http://msepm.hsquared.be/?p=25

If this procedure fails and you cannot remove the faulty macro modules, you could try to restore the Enterprise Global.

Do you have a backup copy (as an mpt file) of the Enterprise Global? If so you can restore the Enterprise Global from this file from Tools -> EnterpriseOptions.

If you don't have such a backup copy, there are 2 more options to try:

• Try Tools -> Enterprise Options -> Backup Enterprise Global Template. If this succeeds, use the procedure as described in the blog post to cleanup the file and remove any faulty module. Try to restore the Enterprise Global from ths cleaned up file
    • Restore your database backup from a date before to problems started onto your test environment. Connect with Project Pro to this environment. Take a backup of the Enterprise Global from Tools -> Enterprise options. Restore this backup copy on your environment

If this all fails, I'm afraid you will have to perform a full database restore.

I hope this helps,
    Hans

My EPM blog: Projectopolis
    Monday, October 3, 2011 8:14 PM

All replies

• Hi Peter,

Before trying any of the methods below, make sure to backup your environment!!!

Open Microsoft Project and set VBA security to high to prevent loading any macro's (and macro modules). Close and re-open Microsoft Project. If this works, you might be able to open the Enterprise Global and remove the fualty modules. Although a different error message, take a look at this blog post that describes the procedure: http://msepm.hsquared.be/?p=25

If this procedure fails and you cannot remove the faulty macro modules, you could try to restore the Enterprise Global.

Do you have a backup copy (as an mpt file) of the Enterprise Global? If so you can restore the Enterprise Global from this file from Tools -> EnterpriseOptions.

If you don't have such a backup copy, there are 2 more options to try:

• Try Tools -> Enterprise Options -> Backup Enterprise Global Template. If this succeeds, use the procedure as described in the blog post to cleanup the file and remove any faulty module. Try to restore the Enterprise Global from ths cleaned up file
    • Restore your database backup from a date before to problems started onto your test environment. Connect with Project Pro to this environment. Take a backup of the Enterprise Global from Tools -> Enterprise options. Restore this backup copy on your environment

If this all fails, I'm afraid you will have to perform a full database restore.

I hope this helps,
    Hans

My EPM blog: Projectopolis
    Monday, October 3, 2011 8:14 PM
  • Hi Hans,

It worked - perfect!

Thank you.

BR

Peter

Peter Kestenholz, MVP Partner and Business Consultant Projectum
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 10:39 AM