Check in multiple files at once? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Is it possible to check in multiple files at once?
    Wednesday, August 8, 2007 8:40 PM

Answers

• You can check in multiple files on WSS 3.0 with Sharepoint Designer 2007.   I was in the same situation and you but had a the trial of Sharepoint Designer 2007.  I went into the setting for the document library in question and took ownership of the files and then used Sharepoint Designer to check them all in.

• Proposed as answer by offintheweeds Tuesday, December 8, 2009 10:18 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, July 8, 2010 11:01 AM
    Friday, December 14, 2007 5:47 PM
  • Hi,

I was able to check in multiple file at once using Sharepoint Designer very simply. Here's how I did it:
    • Open the site in Sharepoint designer
    • Find the files you want to check in, in a document library
    • In the 'Folder List' on the left-hand pane, select the files (using shift or Ctrl) you wish to check in. They'll have a check mark next to them.
    • Right Click and choose "Check In" or "Undo Check Out"

How to check in multiple files with SharePoint Designer
    Click here for screenshot.

That's it. I hope it works that easy for you.

-Schaef

Robert Schaefer
    Jomar Technologies, Inc.
    http://jomargreen.com

• Proposed as answer by Schaef1000 Thursday, July 9, 2009 12:02 PM
    • Edited by Schaef1000 Thursday, July 9, 2009 12:06 PM Updated Screenshot Link
    • Unproposed as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, July 8, 2010 11:01 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Andrew.Fetchko Tuesday, April 12, 2011 6:39 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, July 28, 2011 5:19 PM
    Wednesday, May 21, 2008 7:03 PM

All replies

• Not visually, programatically yes.

Friday, August 10, 2007 2:29 PM
  • And how to do this programatically.
    Tuesday, August 21, 2007 6:26 AM
  • You can do it in WSS 3.0. Select the document library and go the document library settings. CLick the "manage checked out files link in the permissions and managment section.

Faisal Akhtar

SharePoint Analyst / Architect

http://sharefort.blogspot.com

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 3:54 PM
  •  

That does only allow you to take ownership of other people's files that is checked out. You still need to manually check them in one at the time Sad
    Wednesday, August 22, 2007 1:26 PM
  •  

Sure, go into Manage Content and Structure, navigate to the appropriate document library.  Select the check boxes next to the documents you would like to check in then select actions and check in.  Hope this helps.
    • Proposed as answer by Emad Gharaibeh Thursday, December 23, 2010 2:03 PM
    Wednesday, August 22, 2007 3:44 PM
  •  

Where???
    Thursday, August 23, 2007 9:51 AM
  •  

I think we need to clarify which versions we're talking about here.

Personally I'm trying it on WSS 3 without luck.

I have asked Microsoft Sharepoint Support about is and got the answer that it's not possible, there is no way to enable it so multiple files can be uploaded and checked an easy way.

Thursday, August 23, 2007 1:14 PM
  • You are correct about WSS 3, what i am talking about is for MOSS. 

On a Publishing site it is located under the Site Actions menu at the bottom, and on a Team site it is called Content and structure and is on the site settings page under Site Administration.

Thursday, August 23, 2007 2:36 PM
  • This is the solution I have been searching for THANK YOU!

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 11:11 PM
  • I don't see these links. I am using WSS 3.0. THe problem is, I want to require checking in & out, but unfortunately that makes me have to check in every file when we're uploading our existing shared folders. If I turned off requiring check in/out, My new users will be confused, because it's not behaving the way it did in training.

I'd be fine with doing a mass check-in, if I saw anything remotely resembling what's described above.

Thanks!

Michael

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 10:35 PM
  •  

Hi Michael

Above is for MOSS. There is no good solution for doing this in WSS 3 it seems.

It's a smaller product and have some limitations I'm afraid.

Cheers,

Stefan

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 10:42 PM
  • Thank you Stefan. I'd read between the lines that this was true, but wasn't sure.

Unfortunately, I have to provide a "proof of concept" in WSS before I can get the budget to buy MOSS.

Here's are some approaches I'm going to take to solve the problem:

• disable "Require check out to edit" during the migration (upload) phase.
    • upload files
    • re-enable "Require check out" once all files are in place.

or

• Find a script to automagically check in all files checked out to me
    • ???
    • Profit!

Seriously, though. I've heard it said a couple times that such a script exists or at least is possible. Can someone point me in the right direction? Is it a VB script run on the server, or a shell script of stsadmin commands?

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 1:54 PM
  • Thank you, thank you, for rescuing me from mind-numbing busywork.

Friday, September 21, 2007 6:09 PM
  • You can check in multiple files on WSS 3.0 with Sharepoint Designer 2007.   I was in the same situation and you but had a the trial of Sharepoint Designer 2007.  I went into the setting for the document library in question and took ownership of the files and then used Sharepoint Designer to check them all in.

• Proposed as answer by offintheweeds Tuesday, December 8, 2009 10:18 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, July 8, 2010 11:01 AM
    Friday, December 14, 2007 5:47 PM
  • There's also some custom stsadm commands that will help with this - I've got one (http://stsadm.blogspot.com/2007/08/stsadm-commands_09.html - publishitems) and Andrew Connel as a similar one (publishallitems).  They both do the same thing which is to allow mass check-in/publish of list items.

Saturday, December 15, 2007 1:39 AM
  •  

And how did you check in with Sharepoint Designer? I see how to take ownership but I don't see how to do a mass checkin
    Friday, March 14, 2008 10:46 PM
  • Hi,

I was able to check in multiple file at once using Sharepoint Designer very simply. Here's how I did it:
    • Open the site in Sharepoint designer
    • Find the files you want to check in, in a document library
    • In the 'Folder List' on the left-hand pane, select the files (using shift or Ctrl) you wish to check in. They'll have a check mark next to them.
    • Right Click and choose "Check In" or "Undo Check Out"

How to check in multiple files with SharePoint Designer
    Click here for screenshot.

That's it. I hope it works that easy for you.

-Schaef

Robert Schaefer
    Jomar Technologies, Inc.
    http://jomargreen.com

• Proposed as answer by Schaef1000 Thursday, July 9, 2009 12:02 PM
    • Edited by Schaef1000 Thursday, July 9, 2009 12:06 PM Updated Screenshot Link
    • Unproposed as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, July 8, 2010 11:01 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Andrew.Fetchko Tuesday, April 12, 2011 6:39 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, July 28, 2011 5:19 PM
    Wednesday, May 21, 2008 7:03 PM
  • Schaef:

You da man!  Thank you for posting this solution.

Stephen Gregory
    Thursday, June 5, 2008 2:57 PM
  • Thanks Robert. Very helpful hint.
    Thursday, July 3, 2008 2:53 PM
  • http://stsadm.blogspot.com/2009/02/downloads.html has the STSADM Extension WSP Files section.  For WSS3, the gl-publishitems script (http://stsadm.blogspot.com/2007/10/publish-items.html) does exactly what you want. Gary Lapointe posted prior to this post and this script is his. This URL appears to be an updated version, though.

Saved me "hours" of mindless busy work!!!
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 5:27 PM
  • I was able to check in multiple file at once using Sharepoint Designer very simply. Here's how I did it: 

Hi, i followed those instructions, but somehow it didn't work for me. it gives me the option to check in but then nothing happens. it just stays with the green mark next to them.....
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, July 8, 2010 11:02 AM Don't use full quote.
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 3:29 AM
  • Worked for me with SD.  However, couldn't figure out how to search for all checked out files in a site or DL.  Was able to do it folder by folder and checkin all files in a folder enmasse.

thanks!
    Friday, May 29, 2009 9:54 AM
  • You can simply just choose:

• Site Actions
    • Manage Content and Structure
    • Find the folder where your files are
    • Select all files (checkbox for checking all or singel checkbox next to each file name)
    • Choose Actions --> Check In
    • Make a comment on the check in
    • Done
    Thursday, July 8, 2010 10:59 AM
  • SOLUTION ONE seemed to do the trick for a way to avoid MASS CHECK-IN.  Go to your respective document library and select Document Library Settings --> Versioning Settings -->  Select "NO" under "Require Documents to be checked out before they can be edited".  Upload your docs and then re-enable the settings.  I know I'm re-writing the wheel but repetition is the key to learning ;-)
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 3:01 PM