none
Filters keep on replicating RRS feed

• Question

• We have at least two users, one of which is running in offline mode, that are complaining that filters keep replicating in their files.

They both swear that they have unchecked the box "Automatically add new views, tables, filters, and groups to the global".

In each case the copied filters will accumulate to some limit point at which the file no longer functions.

Our users are on MS-Project Pro v2010.  I believe both have SP2.

Thoughts?

Chris

Thursday, August 14, 2014 10:50 AM

Answers

• Chris --

I hate to tell you this, but the duplicate filters problem is actually a bug introduced in Microsoft Project 2010 by an earlier Hotfix or Cumulative Update.  Our company has been hit by this problem, so I speak from experience.  To resolve the problem, refer to the following:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2878263

After installing the CU referenced above, if you are using Project Server, your Project Server administrator can remove the duplicate filters from each project using a SQL Server query.  If you are running desktop-only projects, saved as MPP files, you will be able to remove most of the duplicates using the Organizer dialog.

A painful experience, indeed.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, August 14, 2014 1:28 PM
  • Hi Chris,

Dale pointed me to this threat, since I run into to same. First of all, try to get client CU applied as soon as possible - otherwise issue will increase.

If you are not using timesheets and don't have an interface to a billing system (so you don't care about TaskUIDs and AssignmentUIDs), just

• create a new project
    • set start date to start date of corrupted project
    • insert it as subproject 
    • remove "Link to Project" for Project Summary Task - Task Information - Advanced
    • Outdent all tasks by one level
    • remove original project summary task
    • save with original file name and oberwrite old file

If TaskUID or AssignmentUID are important for you, please contact me offline (see contact information in my profile). In this case, you need to run some scripts on DB and I will not provide these steps here. There are too many people not reading carefully and possibly get their DB in a corrupted state.

Last option:
    Open a support call at Microsoft.

Looking forward to read a message and help you offline!!!!
    Barbara

To increase the value of this forum, please mark the replies that helped to solve your issue as answer. If you find answers to questions from other forum participants to be helpful, please mark them as helpful. Your participation will help others to find an appropriate solution faster. Thanks for your support!

Monday, August 18, 2014 6:22 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Don't they have files connected to a master file and/or a resource pool?

Thursday, August 14, 2014 12:16 PM
  • Chris --

I hate to tell you this, but the duplicate filters problem is actually a bug introduced in Microsoft Project 2010 by an earlier Hotfix or Cumulative Update.  Our company has been hit by this problem, so I speak from experience.  To resolve the problem, refer to the following:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2878263

After installing the CU referenced above, if you are using Project Server, your Project Server administrator can remove the duplicate filters from each project using a SQL Server query.  If you are running desktop-only projects, saved as MPP files, you will be able to remove most of the duplicates using the Organizer dialog.

A painful experience, indeed.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, August 14, 2014 1:28 PM
  • Dale - Many thanks.  I have asked our admin on that Server to look into getting that Hotfix applied.

Regards,

Chris

Thursday, August 14, 2014 1:38 PM
  • Dale - we are dealing with US Government servers; it is going to take a while to get the hotfix approved before I can determine if this solves the problem.

Friday, August 15, 2014 11:15 AM
  • Chris --

Remember that the solution is in two parts.  Your organization must first install the CU.  And then a SQA Server DBA will need to write a SQL query to delete the duplicate filters.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, August 15, 2014 1:12 PM
  • I didn't know that you could delete the filters with SQL, or are you just using SQL to identify where there are redundant filters?

Forgive me, but I am an old requirements engineer and I deal in specifics.

Chris

Friday, August 15, 2014 2:31 PM
  • Hi Chris,

Dale pointed me to this threat, since I run into to same. First of all, try to get client CU applied as soon as possible - otherwise issue will increase.

If you are not using timesheets and don't have an interface to a billing system (so you don't care about TaskUIDs and AssignmentUIDs), just

• create a new project
    • set start date to start date of corrupted project
    • insert it as subproject 
    • remove "Link to Project" for Project Summary Task - Task Information - Advanced
    • Outdent all tasks by one level
    • remove original project summary task
    • save with original file name and oberwrite old file

If TaskUID or AssignmentUID are important for you, please contact me offline (see contact information in my profile). In this case, you need to run some scripts on DB and I will not provide these steps here. There are too many people not reading carefully and possibly get their DB in a corrupted state.

Last option:
    Open a support call at Microsoft.

Looking forward to read a message and help you offline!!!!
    Barbara

To increase the value of this forum, please mark the replies that helped to solve your issue as answer. If you find answers to questions from other forum participants to be helpful, please mark them as helpful. Your participation will help others to find an appropriate solution faster. Thanks for your support!

Monday, August 18, 2014 6:22 AM
  • Hi Barbara - I will pass along your suggestion to our people that are having the problem. 

Chris

Monday, August 18, 2014 11:04 AM
  • Hi Barbara -

It is only a year and a half later and I am finally getting a chance to try the above procedure.  We still have some v2010 users complaining of the problem, even though we are at the latest CU baseline.  We are also seeing the problem manifest with our users that are on Project Server v2013 --- these users are seeing replication of [No Filter] under the Custom area.  I just tried your procedure on our v2013 Server and it does clear the [No Filter] replication but at the expense of wiping all of the SharePoint Deliverables and links to Deliverables for the file.  Do you have any suggestions for preserving the Deliverables?  I have a procedure for re-attaching to other files that are linked to this file via SharePoint, but I wanted your opinion first on whether we can preserve existing links.

Wednesday, March 2, 2016 10:32 PM