Notification Server Component - Failure RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated. 

I am having a problem where Notification Server components reports the following error:

"Could not read registry key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\SMS\NotificationServer" on computer <computername>.  The operating system reported error 2.  The system cannot find the file specified.

Of course the registry key and values in the key exist.  The permissions to the registry key look fine.

Thank you for your suggestings.

Rob

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 3:22 PM

Answers

• I decided to try a Site Reset and this fixed it up.  In addition to reapplying permissions, etc. this operating uninstalled and reinstalled a number of components including the Notification Manager and Notification Server.  It's all "green" now!

Rob

• Proposed as answer by Peter EgertonMVP Friday, December 13, 2013 9:12 PM
    • Marked as answer by Joyce L Thursday, December 19, 2013 9:27 AM
    Friday, December 13, 2013 2:39 PM

All replies

• Can you give us some more info on your environment?

Have you checked BgbServer.log on the relevant MP?

Thursday, December 12, 2013 11:19 PM
  • Hi Joyce.

The ConfigMgr server is running on Windows 2008 R2 SP1.  It is the only ConfigMgr server in the environment.  The SQL database resides on a remote SQL 2008 server.  The trouble started a few days ago when a co-worker installed .Net Framework 4.5 and MDT 2013, previously had .Net Framework 4.0 and MDT 2012.  The server went completely in the toilet and was quiet screwed up, I'm not sure why.  I have managed to correct everything on the server except for the Notification Server component.  I did a removal of the MP and re-added it to correct problems with the MP.  This component unfortunately did not correct itself with that operation.

Yes, I've checked the bgbserver.log file.  The error I am seeing is coming from that log file.  Below are the exact entries in the log file. 

--------------

Register a DB Connection...

BgbServerController COM wrapper object 21296749 is successfully initialized

Error: Cbgbserver: ReadRegistrySettings - Could not read encryption registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\SMS\NotificationServer" on the server.  The operating system reported error 2.

Error: Failed to read settings from registry

Failed to initialize BGB server.  Wait 300 seconds to do initialization again.

----------

These entrie repeat themselves every 5 minutes.

If you'd like anymore information, I'll be happy to provide it.

Thanks

Rob

Friday, December 13, 2013 12:14 PM
  • I decided to try a Site Reset and this fixed it up.  In addition to reapplying permissions, etc. this operating uninstalled and reinstalled a number of components including the Notification Manager and Notification Server.  It's all "green" now!

Rob

• Proposed as answer by Peter EgertonMVP Friday, December 13, 2013 9:12 PM
    • Marked as answer by Joyce L Thursday, December 19, 2013 9:27 AM
    Friday, December 13, 2013 2:39 PM
  • We actually fixed issue for our site.

In the nutshell – 2 registry keys were missing

Reserved 1

Reserved 2

First is need to be manually populated with SCCM SQL service account

Second will automatically regenerated as soon as you bounce you SQL services

Thursday, September 6, 2018 4:04 PM