Creating Site Assignment Boundary Group RRS feed

• Question

• I'm in the process of migrating from SCCM 2007 to SCCM 2012 SP1 and I have a question about site assignment boundary groups.

My SCCM 2007 source hierarchy consist of (1 primary site, and 3 Secondary Sites). My 2012 hierarchy currently consist of 1 primary site, and 3 distribution point servers at remote locations. To avoid over lapping boundaries,  I have created 3 content location boundares groups for each remote location, and associated each to its respective distribution point server.

My question/issue is how do I prevent any overlapping boundary issues when I create the primary site boundary group for site assignment. Also, and since I only have distribution points and no secondary sites, will I be entering the IP address ranges for primary and remote locations into that one boundary group for site assignment.

Any assistance is appreciated, because it seems Microsoft doesn't provide any detailed information about boundary group creating when you have an existing 2007 hierarchy.

Thanks,

Bern

Monday, June 3, 2013 2:36 PM

Answers

• Clients have to be assigned to a site in order to be managed. There's no need for site assignment boundary groups if you don't use SMSSITECODE=auto (but SMSSITECODE=xyz instead).

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Tuesday, June 4, 2013 2:50 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I would create only one Boundary Group for Site assignment and include your whole network in that one boundary as you only have 1 Primary Site. But as you write as soon as you create a boundary Group for site assignment you will be getting overlapping boundaries, so I would recommend that you don't create it until your migration is complete. You can install the sccm 2012 client in many was and Content location boundaries are not considered "overlapping" so you will be fine then.

Regards,
    Jörgen

-- My System Center blog ccmexec.com -- Twitter @ccmexec

Monday, June 3, 2013 2:44 PM
  • Are there performance benefits to create an over-arching boundary group for site assignment instead of simply ticking the 'use this boundary group for site assignment' option on each boundary group created for content location?

My Personal Blog: http://madluka.wordpress.com

Monday, June 3, 2013 3:21 PM
  • Jorgen,

So basically create the site assignment boundary group but dont add the specific IP ranges until I'm ready to migrate that specific site/location or clients over to our SCCM 2012 hierarchy?

Thanks,

Paul

Monday, June 3, 2013 3:28 PM
  • You do not need a site assignment boundary Group in ConfigMgr 2012 unless you are using smssitecode=auto when installing the client. I recommend that you only create content location boundary Groups while migrating. Once ConfigMgr 2007 is off the Network, enable a site boundary Group (if needed).

Kent Agerlund | My blogs: blog.coretech.dk/kea and SCUG.dk/ | Twitter: @Agerlund | Linkedin: Kent Agerlund | Mastering ConfigMgr 2012 The Fundamentals

Tuesday, June 4, 2013 8:51 AM
  • Kent,

Interesting....Is doing one way better than the other? So if I'm manually installing the SCCM 2012 client to machines I do not need to associate them to site location first, but wait until I fully migrate all my sites and clients from 2007 to 2012?

Thanks,

Paul

Tuesday, June 4, 2013 2:43 PM
  • Clients have to be assigned to a site in order to be managed. There's no need for site assignment boundary groups if you don't use SMSSITECODE=auto (but SMSSITECODE=xyz instead).

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Tuesday, June 4, 2013 2:50 PM
  • Hello! I have a question: Which method of site assignement should I use - client push installation(SMSSITECODE=xxx), use this boundary group for site assignment or content location settings. Separately for primary and secondary site.

Can I combine those methods?

Thanks.

• Edited by Olegrik Monday, March 17, 2014 5:38 AM
    Monday, March 17, 2014 4:49 AM