HP Mediasmart Webcam Software RRS feed

• Question

• I have a dv5-1235dx.  HP posted new software for Win 7 (64) built in camera software.  The install seemed to go fine, but once you click to run the software, nothing happens, so it seems.  About a minute or so later, the application opens.  Why is it taking so long to open.  I have uninstalled/reinstalled multiple times and the problem still exist.  I have tried to go back to the old vista version of the software (running in cap mode), but now that software takes a long time to load.  I have done a restore, with no affect.  What happened?  Note:  I am using the full retail version, not a beta of Win 7 Ultimate.  None of the other Updated HP software has this problem.  HP won't help because Windows is not officially released yet.

Never mind, doing a clean install of windows did the trick.
    Friday, October 16, 2009 6:16 PM

Answers

• Yeah some kind of way it screwed up my system.  Seems I always have issues when trying to work with a system that has an upgraded os instead of a clean install.  Anyway, I did a clean install and installed the software and it works great.

By the way, another issue I had was for some reason Windows 7 actually assigned a drive letter to the System Reserve (100 mb) area of my hardrive.  Normally I think is supposed to be hidden.  My system does not have a TPM chip so I have no need for it anyway, and unlike most I hear, it allowed me to delete that area.  So now I have unallocated space.  How can I reclaim this to expand the C: partition?  I think I read if it was on the otherside of the C: partition I could just use expand in windows, but as you know, it is not.  It is in front of C:.  Is there a free program that is safe to use on Windows 7?  I mean it's only 100mb, how hard is that to fix?
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Friday, October 23, 2009 3:44 AM
    Monday, October 19, 2009 7:27 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Make sure that you download the 64 bit camera software but not 32 bit. Sometimes this kind of behavior can be related to program conflicts, I recommend you to perform a clean boot to see how it works. To do this, please refer to the following website:

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7.

Disclaimer: we provide third party link for downloading software, there may be some changes without notice. Microsoft doesn't guarantee any change.

Best Regards
    Dale
    Monday, October 19, 2009 9:16 AM
  • Yeah some kind of way it screwed up my system.  Seems I always have issues when trying to work with a system that has an upgraded os instead of a clean install.  Anyway, I did a clean install and installed the software and it works great.

By the way, another issue I had was for some reason Windows 7 actually assigned a drive letter to the System Reserve (100 mb) area of my hardrive.  Normally I think is supposed to be hidden.  My system does not have a TPM chip so I have no need for it anyway, and unlike most I hear, it allowed me to delete that area.  So now I have unallocated space.  How can I reclaim this to expand the C: partition?  I think I read if it was on the otherside of the C: partition I could just use expand in windows, but as you know, it is not.  It is in front of C:.  Is there a free program that is safe to use on Windows 7?  I mean it's only 100mb, how hard is that to fix?
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Friday, October 23, 2009 3:44 AM
    Monday, October 19, 2009 7:27 PM
  • Glad to see the webcam software installed ok now. As we all know, an upgrade collects program settings, drivers and files from the previous windows. This may cause incompatibility problem due to old drivers or program settings. However, a clean install perform a fresh driver install and program settings.

For your another issue, by default a 100MB partition for BitLocker Drive Encryption (BDE) will automatically be created on any unformatted drive ordrives without any preexisting partitions. The volume will be marked as type 0x27 and active. If an installation already has a partition, the 100MB partition will not be created and all existing partitions will be preserved, the partition will be marked as active. The most commonly realized benefit of the 100Mb partition in Windows 7 is that this is where the boot loader goes.  It means that you're no longer dependent on the health of a single OS partition to bring your computer up in a multi-boot environment. Moreover, this is where Bitlocker's metadata lives. OEMs can put their "recovery" partition here as well.

Regarding your requirements, you want to expand the C: partition to use the 100 MB space.  Generally speaking, you cannot remove that partition once it is created and expect Windows 7 to boot-up. If you do want to use this small partition, you can prevent Windows 7 from creating this partition by taking another clean install.

Disclaimer: we provide this website for references, Microsoft doesn't recommend to do so and doesn't guarantee any acuracy in this website.

BTW, if you have any concern different with the original post, you'd better create a new thread. We generally focus on one question per thread so as to let the similar community user to participate. Thanks for your understanding and cooperation.

Best Regards
    Dale

Tuesday, October 20, 2009 2:38 AM
  • For some reason in my case it created the partition, but it assigned it a drive letter. It did not put the boot or system files there or even make the partition active. I have installed on two different computers one it did just as you described. The other one it didn't. There for since that partition was not even active it allowed me th delete it.

Just for the info.  Since I now have that 100mb space, is there a way to recreate the Hidden Reserve Partition back there?
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 3:49 AM
  • Try to use diskpart utility.

Best Regards
    Dale
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 10:09 AM