Cannot globally turn on meeting entry and exit tones RRS feed

• Question

• I need to turn on entry and exit tones globally (for our entire organization).  We need to be able to hear when people enter or exit a conference call.  We only want the tone to play, not the announcements. Our current settings in the skype for business admin center are "Enable meeting entry and exit notifications to be turned on" (checked) and "Entry/Exit announcement type" (Tones - preview).   Furthermore, I have logged in to the skype for business powershell and executed the command:

Set-CsOnlineDialInConferencingTenantSettings -EnableEntryExitNotifications $True

I am not sure what else to do.  Any newly created meetings do not have the tone enabled, unless going in through the meeting options and manually setting it to enabled, which is not acceptable.

Here are the current settings, which result in NO TONE BY DEFAULT when creating a meeting:

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> get-csonlinedialinconferencingtenantsettings

Identity                               : Global
    EnableEntryExitNotifications           : True
    EntryExitAnnouncementsType             : ToneOnly
    EnableNameRecording                    : False
    IncludeTollFreeNumberInMeetingInvites  : True
    PinLength                              : 5
    AllowPSTNOnlyMeetingsByDefault         : False
    AutomaticallySendEmailsToUsers         : True
    SendEmailFromOverride                  : False
    SendEmailFromAddress                   : 
    SendEmailFromDisplayName               : 
    AutomaticallyReplaceAcpProvider        : False
    UseUniqueConferenceIds                 : False
    AutomaticallyMigrateUserMeetings       : True
    MigrateServiceNumbersOnCrossForestMove : False
    EnableDialOutJoinConfirmation          : True

Thank You!

• Edited by tmiks Wednesday, January 10, 2018 6:24 PM
    Wednesday, January 10, 2018 5:09 PM

All replies

• Hi tmiks,

May I know whether the users join the Skype for Business Online meeting over the phone or using Skype for Business client on desktop or mobile phone?

However, the entry and exit announcements for callers are only played for participants who have joined over the phone and not for participants who have joined using Skype for Business client on desktop or mobile phone. For more detailed information, please refer to the article: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Announce-your-name-when-you-join-a-Skype-for-Business-meeting-or-call-076c27bd-054b-40ae-991c-0e7d7a2f33d9

If the users join the Skype for Business Online meeting over the phone, then try to check this issue via uncheck and then check the Enable meeting entry and exit notifications to be turned on: For your reference: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/SkypeForBusiness/audio-conferencing-in-office-365/turn-on-or-off-entry-and-exit-announcements-for-meetings?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

Regards,

Leon Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, January 11, 2018 11:13 AM
  • This is done strictly by dial-in (over the phone), no skype clients besides the meeting organizer.  I checked this issue via unchecking and then checking the Enable meeting entry and exit notifications to be turned on.  I did this three times and created a new meeting each time.  There are absolutely no tones despite how many times I uncheck and check the entry and exit notifications.
    Thursday, January 11, 2018 2:45 PM
  • Hi tmiks,

Thanks for your reply.

When the meeting option “Announce when people enter or leave” option is manually selected via the client, could you get the notification?

According your description, it seems you changed the global setting for the organization, but the user does not apply this setting.

I know you want to use “toneonly”, but could you please try to use “UseNames” notification to narrow down if it is related to only “Toneonly” option or both options.

Set-CsOnlineDialInConferencingTenantSettings -EnableEntryExitNotifications $True -EnableNameRecording $True -EntryExitAnnouncementsType UseNames

Another way, after you change the setting, we suggest you could logoff and re-login your client. Or change another account to create the meeting to see if it can work.

Regards,

Leon Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 12, 2018 8:22 AM
  • Thanks for your reply.  I put in a ticket with Microsoft support a couple days ago, and they have stopped getting back with me.  I am unsure why, but I am going to have to call in today as well.  Here are the answers to your questions:

Q1: When the meeting option “Announce when people enter or leave” option is manually selected via the client, could you get the notification?

A1: Yes - When I manually select that option via the client, I get a notification.  If I close the meeting and try again an hour later, I have to check the box again, because it became unchecked.

Q2: I know you want to use “toneonly”, but could you please try to use “UseNames” notification to narrow down if it is related to only “Toneonly” option or both options.

Set-CsOnlineDialInConferencingTenantSettings -EnableEntryExitNotifications $True -EnableNameRecording $True -EntryExitAnnouncementsType UseNames

A2: I cannot try to use "usenames" because we are a large organization and have hundreds of meetings a day.  I may get fired if I try to do this.  When it comes down to it, we need the tone to work.

Q3: Another way, after you change the setting, we suggest you could logoff and re-login your client. Or change another account to create the meeting to see if it can work.

A3: Are you saying to logoff and re-login my Skype client?  If so, I have tried this and it makes no difference when creating meetings.  I also have multiple other accounts I can (and have) used to test this, and it is the same result.

Is there a way I can apply the setting for only one user, to see if that works?  I can't seem to find a switch to do that.

Thank you very much for your continued support!

• Edited by tmiks Friday, January 12, 2018 2:59 PM
    Friday, January 12, 2018 2:23 PM
  • Hi tmiks,

Thanks for your reply.

I’m afraid there is no a user level policy can be set about it.

According current status, I think you could try to revert the tenant level dial-in conferencing settings to their original defaults and then re-configure it to see if it can work.

You could run this command to remove the setting:

“Remove-CsOnlineDialInConferencingTenantSettings”

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/skype/remove-csonlinedialinconferencingtenantsettings?view=skype-ps

Regards,

Leon Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, January 16, 2018 9:39 AM
  • I ran the command “Remove-CsOnlineDialInConferencingTenantSettings”

Then I said ToneOnly, but it sadly does not work by default.

I can turn on the tone for each individual meeting by going in to 'meeting options' and selecting 'announce when callers enter or exit' but this gets turned off after 1 hour no matter what.

This is very, very frustrating for our company and I have no idea what to do now.

Tuesday, January 16, 2018 5:24 PM
  • Hello tmiks,

Did you ever find a solution to your issue?  I too am having this same problem.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

Thursday, May 17, 2018 2:57 PM
  • Chris,

Yes, I did figure out the fix for this.  We found out that if the 'Conference ID' for any user is set to 'static,' entry and exit tones are not supported.  So in the office 365 admin portal, we had to go to "skype for business admin center," "audio conferencing," then "users" and change all the users' conference IDs to 'dynamic.'  From there, we ran this command in a sfb powershell session: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/skype/remove-csdialinconferencingconfiguration?view=skype-ps

That seemed to revert everyone to the default global settings, and now we have entry/exit tones!

• Proposed as answer by Krafcky Inc Thursday, May 17, 2018 3:44 PM
    Thursday, May 17, 2018 3:36 PM
  • Thank you for your feedback.  While I understand that the entry/exit tones are still in 'Preview' mode, do you feel that they work well, and as one would expect?  One of the key complaints from users is the lack of the entry/exit tones during their meetings.  If we enable this, I want to be sure that this functionality is stable.
    Thursday, May 17, 2018 3:59 PM
  • To be honest with you, they are hit or miss.  Sometimes they work and sometimes they do not.  I don't want to lie and say they are 100%, but it seems at least the majority of the time it works as expected.  It's also good to note that it behaves differently when a person is dialing in from skype versus dialing in to the conference directly from their cell phone.  I believe the entry/exit tones work when someone dials in from a SFB client/phone, but not if they dial in directly from their cell phone.

One feature that I found works consistently is making people record their names before joining.  This worked 100% of the time but ultimately my company decided not to use it because when you have 100 people join a conference, this was taking up A LOT of time and was confusing for many.

Thursday, May 17, 2018 5:04 PM
  • @tmiks2,

The Powershell command you linked to is for on-premise; can you confirm what you ran in the cloud?  There is no such command - Remove-CsOnlineDialInConferencingTenantConfiguration

Did you run Remove-CsOnlineDialInConferencingTenantSetting instead?

Wednesday, February 13, 2019 7:05 PM
  • Also, can you confirm that after you ran the powershell commands, that users had the checkbox automatically selected for new meetings?

Or did they have to still go in one time and choose "Remember Settings"?
    Wednesday, February 13, 2019 7:08 PM