none
Query regarding SSRS installation RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all, 

I am trying to install SQL Server Reporting services for Sharepoint 2013.

I Have 1 SQL Server and 1 SharePoint WFE Server.

I installed the components for reporting on SQL Server, and when I tried to run the "install-SPRSService" on PowerShell on SharePoint Server, I get an error that It is not a recognized cmdlet.

So when I searched on forums, I saw somewhere it is written as, " SSRS will install as a SharePoint service application, so it must be installed on a machine that is part of the the SharePoint farm"

So now I am confused, please let me know where I have to install these below SQL Components for SSRS

* Database engine services

* Reporting services - sharepoint

* Reporting services add-in for sharepoint

* Management tools - basic

- Management tools - complete

I have all these in my SQL server. So is it sufficient or I should install these components again in SharePoint server.

Thanks,

Shanky

• Edited by shankyshan Friday, February 13, 2015 9:19 AM update
    Friday, February 13, 2015 9:18 AM

Answers

• Hi Shanky,

In your configuration you will need to install:

• Reporting services - sharepoint
    • Reporting services add-in for SharePoint

on the SharePoint WFE Server. I am assuming you are talking about SQL Server 2012!

Hope this helps

Paul

• Marked as answer by shankyshan Saturday, February 21, 2015 12:47 PM
    Friday, February 13, 2015 10:05 AM

All replies

• Hi Shanky,

In your configuration you will need to install:

• Reporting services - sharepoint
    • Reporting services add-in for SharePoint

on the SharePoint WFE Server. I am assuming you are talking about SQL Server 2012!

Hope this helps

Paul

• Marked as answer by shankyshan Saturday, February 21, 2015 12:47 PM
    Friday, February 13, 2015 10:05 AM
  • Hello Paul,

Yes I am using SQL Server 2012 as the database server for Project server. All my data tables are stored on this server. Also the same sever is serving as analysis services server for OLAP cubes. I have installed the SSRS Components on this SQL Server.

So should I need to install the SQL server with SSRS Components on the Sharepoint WFE Server as well ?

Thanks 

Shanky

Friday, February 13, 2015 10:36 AM
  • Hi Shanky,

All you need to install are the two components that I mentioned previously on the SharePoint WFE Server. No need to install any other SQL Server components on the SharePoint WFE/App Server

Hope this helps

Paul

Friday, February 13, 2015 10:49 AM
  • Hello Paul,

* I installed the components mentioned by you on SharePoint WFE

* Ran the cmdlts

Install-SPRSService
    Install-SPRSServiceProxy

* Created SQL Server Reporting Services Service Application, and provided the database server as the SQL server

* And in then entered the parameters in Provision subscriptions and Alerts, downloaded the script and ran the script on SQL server

* In this Service app Properties for Web Application association name, It shows the web application properly and is selected. But above it, there is a warning mentioning "There are no web applications available to associate with this SQL Server Reporting Services Service Application". Is this normal ?

* If I try to click 'System Settings' of this service pp, then I get an error "The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error." . Is it because, I have given the Database server as the SQL server which is a different server than the Sharepoint server ?

* And in SQL Server Reporting Services of General application Settings of Central Management site , When I try to Integrate a Report server, it gives me an error.

"Report Server WMI Provider error: Invalid namespace

* I have installed Report Viewer CLR types and Report viewer  and Report Builder

* But when i try to verify the report server installation in Document library, when i try clicking a new document using Report builder, it gives error    " An unexpected error occurred while connecting to the report server. Verify that the Reporting Services Service Application mapped to this web application is available OR the report server is available and configured for SharePoint Integrated mode"

I have followed all the procedures provided in the Technet articles, but still I am unable to configure the reporting successfully here. Please let me know where I am going wrong. 

Thanks,

Shanky

Monday, February 16, 2015 7:30 AM
  • Hi Shanky,

Can you try to create another SSRS service application? I had a similar issue and second time it was successful. I think it is a matter of timing and waiting for SharePoint to complete the provisioning. You can even try to reboot your server or restart IIS before configuring another SSRS instance.

Also, make sure thee SSRS is included in the default service application association list and your web application is using it. If the web application is not using the default service application association then you can manually associate it with you web application

Paul

Monday, February 16, 2015 9:26 AM
  • Hi Paul,

Thanks for the reply. One more question regarding this issue.

I have installed SQL Server 2012 and its components. Should I be using the SQL Server 2012 SP1 upgrade or the SQL Server 2012 is enough? I hope this doesn't cause any issue. 

Thanks,

shanky

Monday, February 16, 2015 9:40 AM
  • Hi Shanky,

2012 RTM version should be enough. However, SP1 includes a number of fixes/improvements etc.

If you go for SP1 make sure it is installed on both servers in your farm

Paul

Monday, February 16, 2015 9:43 AM
  • Hi Paul,

The issue was wrt SQL Server 2012. I had to install the SP1 update for SQL Server to successfully configure the reporting services.

Saturday, February 21, 2015 12:53 PM