How can I do this... from XP to 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a specific way I want my folders.  XP seemed to provide the most flexibility there. I could have folders with 'detail' lists, folders with ICONS, folders with THUMBNAIL views...

Here is an example
    • Moved by Ronnie VernonMVP Thursday, September 24, 2009 10:59 PM Focus (From:Windows 7 Installation, Setup, and Deployment)
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 10:50 PM

All replies

• Hi

Could you please define "folders with ICONS" and  "folders with THUMBNAIL"?

On my computer, my folder and files viewed as following:

If you want to change the view setting, please click this  button on Windows Explorer.

Hope it helps.
    Friday, September 25, 2009 7:28 AM
  • I assume you are talking about the ability of Explorer to remember you view preference for specific folders which in XP/Vista was controlled by the "Remember each folder's view settings" setting in the Folder Options control panel? In Windows 7 this option has gone as I believe it is the only behaviour. Does it not work this way for you? For instance if you launch explorer and browse to say C:\Windows\system32 then use the "Change your view" button or the View menu ( press Alt to get menus ) to change the view for that folder to small icons then navigate away from and back to the folder your viewing preference for that folder should be preserved.
    Friday, September 25, 2009 9:47 AM
  • I'm really surprised how little actual control you get over this "new and improved" aero interface.
    Icons and fonts are too big.  Folder preferences are wacky. "view Folders" replaced by navigation pane, which has all this 'favorites / librararys' stuff that you can't change.  Look at my screen shot. on the "my documents" folder, well, sure enough "my Documents" is the TOP item in the FOLDER view.  Not so, in the navigation pane....  And this folder, on my desktop, is set to view as "details"  The folder "models" seen in the list is set to view as THUMBNAILS (this is where all my supermodels / hot babes desktop wallpapers are stored...).

I have yet to simulate this on my Win7 install.
    And, having to hit ALT for a menu?  Really?  Sorry, the XP way was better.
    Friday, September 25, 2009 11:56 AM
  • You can change the font size in the control panel, and what icon size? Where?
    But don't expect that the latest OS, Windows 7, is optimized for old hardware, in your case your old montior with a low resolution. Newer laptops have 17" WUXGA displays, my tablet has a 12" WXGA display, there this font size looks great. And Win 7 gets sold on those newer computers, and a higher resolution is better for the eyes, when the font is still readable, which means an increased font size on older displays.

You can also add the Documents folder to the Favorites in the left explorer panel, then the Documents is the top item again. But I know what you mean, and I also find it sad that we can't really customize the left panel, maybe MS fixes this with SP1, let's hope it.

Hitting ALT? What's the problem, every program works this way. And when do you need to open the menu wth a keystroke?

So really, I can at follow you. Your descriptions are really wacky sometimes.

Friday, September 25, 2009 3:51 PM
  • Bigjohn-s, you make very good points.  It used to be possible to set up one's desktop in a very business-like manner, minimizing the chrome and maximizing the work space.  You will find people will criticize you for making these kinds of comments, because they are somehow brainwashed into thinking "newer is better".  Don't listen to them.

There are many things with the new user interface that are simply as they are.  However, some are configurable, and you will (as most of us) probably spend hours / days figuring out how to tweak the stuff that CAN be tweaked to maximize productivity with Windows 7.

To your specific points:

1.  You can configure Explorer in Windows 7 to deliver a similar (through with more chrome) experience to what you had.  Before, it was possible to have an Explorer window with just a few rows of chrome on the top and just the status bar at the bottom.  This is about as good as it gets now:

2.  As far as arrangement of contents of the Explorer windows, you can set individual folders to display the contents the way you want.  Windows 7, while it implies it will, is actually challenged to remember the window positioning, however.  The position of one Window appears to affect another, even though the views are supposed to be stored associated with the folder.  It DOES, however, seem to remember folder by folder whether you like to see icons or details view or whatever.  Maybe it's just me, but I have the best luck with getting Explorer to remember the way I like to see the contents of a directory when I a) open Explorer to the folder (e.g., by a desktop icon), b) set the contents view, then c) WITHOUT CHANGING FOLDERS, close Explorer.

3.  When you mention "hitting ALT for a menu", are you referring to the Windows menu icon not being on the upper-left of an Explorer window?  The menu is really there, there's just no visual cue for it.  Or are you saying you haven't found the way to make the text menus show in the Explorer window yet (see my image under #1 above).  If the latter, click the "Organize" button, then Layout -> Menu Bar.

-Noel
    • Proposed as answer by ecnepsnai Saturday, September 26, 2009 7:06 PM
    Friday, September 25, 2009 5:21 PM

• 3.  When you mention "hitting ALT for a menu", are you referring to the Windows menu icon not being on the upper-left of an Explorer window?
    He's complaining that hitting ALT to display the menu is an unnecessary step and that it should always be displayed. Of course, as is shown in your screen shot,  Bigjohn-s could configure Explorer to always show menus using the Folder Options->View->Always show menus option if he is still wishes to access the menus without the Alt keystroke. I concur with both of you that the Favourites and Libraries in the Navigation pane is unfamiliar and it should at the very least be possible to suppress/reorganise that but I'll live with the fact that I can collapse them to a single icon and then use the Computer icon as my starting point. To be honest if I want to navigate to my documents folder I tend to access it from the Start Menu these days.

A43 still works in Windows 7 if you want and old-style file manager and it still has an Up button for those that can't live without ;)
    Friday, September 25, 2009 6:11 PM

• 3.  When you mention "hitting ALT for a menu", are you referring to the Windows menu icon not being on the upper-left of an Explorer window?
    He's complaining that hitting ALT to display the menu is an unnecessary step and that it should always be displayed. Of course, as is shown in your screen shot,  Bigjohn-s could configure Explorer to always show menus using the Folder Options->View->Always show menus option if he is still wishes to access the menus without the Alt keystroke. I concur with both of you that the Favourites and Libraries in the Navigation pane is unfamiliar and it should at the very least be possible to suppress/reorganise that but I'll live with the fact that I can collapse them to a single icon and then use the Computer icon as my starting point. To be honest if I want to navigate to my documents folder I tend to access it from the Start Menu these days.

A43 still works in Windows 7 if you want and old-style file manager and it still has an Up button for those that can't live without ;)

Yes, I have the "menus" turned on.  I want to add a status bar at the bottom, or move/consolidate the menu bar?  Why should it be FULL WIDTH when it's just 4 options.  And how to get rid of the "hello, windows thinks your an idiot so here are things we think you want to do" bar that is under the windows bar?

See how neat and organized my folder "chrome" is in XP?  I want a navigable folder pane, not some idiots idea of a guided pane on the left.  Vista was "windows for dummies (with bizzare DRM and resource requirements built into it)".  While win7 performs closer to XP on == hardware, it's still "for dummies" in a lot of respects.  What about an "advanced" mode that turns off all that guided ____ and gives us our WINDOWS interface controls back? (including the transparency and other cool aero things though...)

I'm not using 'old hardware' by the way.  I don't think a 22" monitor 1680x1050 is "old", running on an Nvidia 260c216GTX video card, 8gb ram, on a 780i motherboard... c2d e8400 overclocked to 4ghz...
    Friday, September 25, 2009 10:06 PM
  • Hear hear, John!  You and I think alike.

Windows is moving away from serious pursuits to become an entertainment system.  What does the future hold for people who would like to do serious things with their computers?  When the economy collapses and the power goes off for most of the day it won't matter, I suppose...

-Noel
    Friday, October 2, 2009 5:35 PM