Deploying IE via SCCM software updates - and customizing it RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I am looking to upgrade my office users from IE8 to IE9. I want to do this by a simple method, I'm busy enough on various others things, so dont want to "overegg the pudding" for a simple browser upgrade.

So far I've been using SCCM Software Updates to deploy IE9 KB982861 to machines. This works great, and retains settings like Favorites and the Favorites bar.

However, my question is, is there a simple way of tweaking some settings, during or post-install for many users?

2 main things: (1) I would like to remove the "speed up browsing by disabling add-ons" prompt. I know most of our IE9 add-ons have a useful purpose, and don't want users to be given many options to disable them.

I know this setting can be tweaked at this registry location:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MAO Settings

(2) Is it possible also to restore the "Favorites Bar" for all IE9 upgrades?

I've downloaded and had a look at the IEAK, but it seems a complicated method, and may not be able to acheive to the two goals listed above.

Thanks

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 9:15 AM

All replies

• Hi,

IE favorites will not lost when you upgrade to IE9.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 9:56 AM
  • Yes, I know. I noticed this during the upgrades. But for example, the "favorites bar" is hidden by default after an IE9 upgrade. To make the transition smoother for my users, I would not like this to be hidden, and have a simple means of automating this for a number of installations, e.g. by SCCM software updates.
    Friday, April 27, 2012 1:15 PM
  • Hi just wondering if anyone has deployed IE9, and has re-enabled the favorites bar, menu bar or command bar by default?

Thanks,

Liam

Monday, May 28, 2012 10:42 AM
  • Bump!

Wondering the same! Its nothing about the favoritesbar in the IEAK9?

// Clint

Friday, September 7, 2012 2:24 PM