HTTP Status 400: The server cannot process the request because the syntax is not valid. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a strange behaviour with my WSUS Server running on Windows Server 2012 R2.
    It seems that WSUS is not able to download some of the updates, mostly drivers.
    WSUS is configured to download updates directly from the Microsoft Update Servers.

The SoftwareDistribution Logile states following message:

Source File: /c/msdownload/update/driver/drvs/2015/07/200005797_cde39e57d7caf9c520bd11fa29425d83a2833c6e.cab 
    Destination File: D:\WSUS\WsusContent\6E\CDE39E57D7CAF9C520BD11FA29425D83A2833C6E.cab
    2015-08-30 20:01:18.146 UTC Info WsusService.16 EventLogEventReporter.ReportEvent EventId=364,Type=Error,Category=Synchronization,Message=Content file download failed.
    Reason: HTTP status 400: The server cannot process the request because the syntax is not valid.

I already have searched the Internet for a solution but I cannot find anything about this specific error.
    Does anybody know what this error message means?

WSUS is running through a proxy but I think the connection is working properly because WSUS was able to download most of the updates.

Thank you!

Michael

Monday, August 31, 2015 9:27 AM

Answers

• Hi Michael,

In most cases, the download issue is caused by the firewall or proxy.

If you are using firewall or proxy, to verify if this issue is caused by them, please try to connect your server to the internet directly.

Best Regards.

Steven Lee Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Michael.David Tuesday, September 8, 2015 6:33 AM
    Tuesday, September 8, 2015 3:18 AM

All replies

• Hi Michael,

In most cases, the download issue is caused by the firewall or proxy.

If you are using firewall or proxy, to verify if this issue is caused by them, please try to connect your server to the internet directly.

Best Regards.

Steven Lee Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Michael.David Tuesday, September 8, 2015 6:33 AM
    Tuesday, September 8, 2015 3:18 AM
  • Hi Steven,

thank you, that really was the problem. I removed the proxy and the remaining updates started downloading immediatly.

I don't know why, because I was able to download over 90 percent of the available updates with proxy activated.
    Anyway.. thank you again.

Michael

Tuesday, September 8, 2015 6:36 AM