Additional mailboxes in Outlook - online vs cache mode RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

I am really sorry for probably repeating a topic that has been asked since the age of man! but i am trying to work out if there is anything i can do in terms of best practice when it comes to adding additional mailboxes into outlook.

So i work for a rather large IT distribution company and we as many other companies use shared mailboxes for things like customer service or sales enquiries etc. Now where it gets tricky is the size of the shared mailboxes, the amount of emails and the amount of folders etc. some of ours can be on the large side 5+ GB.

Since we migrated over to Office 365/Exchange Online with our tenancy in North America we have a real bad performance when additional mailboxes are in online mode and partly i think this is purely down to the location of the mailboxes now. from UK to North America.

But i cant help wonder that we cant be the only company with this issue. so what do others do? Putting the additional mailboxes into cache mode seems to introduce other issues in regarding to flagging and adding categories etc.

There is a limit to how much it is possible to reduce the amount of emails and folders in these shared mailboxes so hence why i am asking other fellow Exchange admins for some advice.

Thank you in advance. 

Friday, October 2, 2015 8:22 PM

Answers

• Hi,

As a supplement, you can refer to the below article to set the shared mailbox as a second exchange account under the same profile:

https://kb.intermedia.net/article/2295

Please note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information. And the changes made in the above blog is not supported officially by Microsoft.

Regards,

David 

• Proposed as answer by David Wang_ Friday, October 23, 2015 7:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by ronniejorgensen82 Tuesday, November 17, 2015 9:48 PM
    Monday, October 5, 2015 6:34 AM

All replies

• So you say that you have office only in UK, but tenant is in USA?Any reason for this setup?

We have tenant in Amsterdam, where most of our offices are in Europe. Lately we have been establishing offices in Asia and soon in USA.

So far no one have complained and our largest shared mailbox is over 20GB with over 100k files + folders.

I guess you mean you have this setting off?

Users mailbox should be set in cached mode, only shared should be online mode. From experience having both in online mode might cause freezing and delay.

What kind of firewall are you using? maybe its limiting the number of concurrent connections?

Sure you have latest updates for your client and if any, on-prem exchange server?

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you. Thank you! Off2work

Friday, October 2, 2015 10:28 PM
  • Hi Off2work,

We started with our offices in the United States hence why the North America tenancy. and Yes that is the setting I am referring to. having users mailboxes in cache mode and shared mailboxes in online.

We use a mix between Outlook 2007/2010/2013 but all 3 versions give the same user experience.

I am thinking to log a call with MS support to see if they can tell me some more about concurrent connections. both to Office 365 and what we need to consider on our firewall.

In outlook connection status, what do you get around the avg resp column?

Regards

Ronnie

Saturday, October 3, 2015 8:06 AM
  • Hey Ronnie,

Microsoft recommends that you do everything in cached mode for Outlook when it comes to Office 365. They state you will have performance problems with Office 365 in Online Mode.

That said, what are the problems you are having when you switch to Cache Mode?

I noticed you have 2010 and 2013. What happens if you add the shared mailbox as its own Exchange account versus adding it as an additional mailbox to the existing Exchange account? Any improvement that way?

<href="http://www.supertekboy.com/">Check out my latest blog posts on www.supertekboy.com A tech blog for Exchange Superheroes.

Sunday, October 4, 2015 3:49 AM
  • Hi Ronnie,

this is my status

Another thing to mention is that our MX and autodiscover goes thru On-prem exchange and then routed to exchange online. All outgoing mail goes straight out from Exchange online.in coming mail hits our spam filter then on-prem exchange and finally exchange online.

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you. Thank you! Off2work

Sunday, October 4, 2015 10:48 AM
  • Hi Gareth,

I have read that MS says you should have everything in cache mode with office 365 but some of the issues we see is

- Not all folders updates
    - Update delays between the users when they flag and categorize or move mails around
    - I might have seen some colour coding issues but not sure that's related to cache mode

I have not tried adding it as its own Exchange account, assuming you mean within the same profile and not create a new profile.

Everywhere I read, other users is telling me they occur when shared mailbox is in cache mode and added as an additional mailbox. So I have always wanted shared mailboxes as additional mailboxes wanted to be in online mode.

Sunday, October 4, 2015 8:06 PM
  • Hi Off2Work

I believe ours MX and autodiscover does the same. however all our email route via the onprem environment and in/out of our IronPort cluster.

I am back at work tomorrow so will update you again tomorrow. earlier today I have avg resp around 200-300 but right now they look like 800-1000 from my home broadband.

Sunday, October 4, 2015 8:09 PM
  • Yes, try setting up the Shared Mailbox as a second Exchange account under the same profile. Should eliminate the delays.

Blog | Find me on Twitter | In the USA? Hire Me

Sunday, October 4, 2015 8:48 PM
  • Hi,

As a supplement, you can refer to the below article to set the shared mailbox as a second exchange account under the same profile:

https://kb.intermedia.net/article/2295

Please note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information. And the changes made in the above blog is not supported officially by Microsoft.

Regards,

David 

• Proposed as answer by David Wang_ Friday, October 23, 2015 7:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by ronniejorgensen82 Tuesday, November 17, 2015 9:48 PM
    Monday, October 5, 2015 6:34 AM
  • Hi Gareth,

So adding a shared mailbox in as a extra email account vs additional mailbox did not do significant improvement. cache mode also still have same issues with mail/folders not syncing correctly.

We did find an interesting feature. It turns out when you add it as another email account and you want to change the view settings in the shared mailbox with for example no reading pane. It replicates to all the other users using the shared mailbox. something that did not happen before.

I have logged a support ticket with MS support via O365 admin portal and waiting their reply.

Thursday, October 8, 2015 6:26 PM