none
Primary DPM server failure and recovery RRS feed

• Question

• I'm wondering exactly what the supported steps are for recovering a primary DPM server.  I'm in the process of testing this.  In recovery steps listed on various blogs and websites, the restore functionality of the dbsync program appears to only be functional if you are doing a separate backup of the DPMDB?  What is the point to backing up the Primary server DPMDB to the Secondary server if you can't automatically restore back from there?  Will this be change in DPM 2012? (I haven't had time to poke at it yet)

If I still have my secondary server....my basic recovery steps have been

1. reinstall the primary DPM Server OS.

2. reinstall DPM with relevant updates.

3. run setdpmserver on the new primary server to set firewall for secondary DPM server access (otherwise agent from primary agent can't communicate properly)

4. restore the primary server DPMDB to a directory on the primary server. Make sure disk has been allocated to the DPM.  Stop SQL on the server, replace DPM db files, start sql. run dpmsync -sync followed by dpmsync -reallocatereplica.

5. if necessary restore replicas from secondary to primary (if necessary), move any servers back to the primary DPM server,  then run a consistency check on the volumes on the primary dpm server

Anything I'm missing?????

Sunday, January 22, 2012 6:22 PM

Answers

• This looks good to me. Only step 3 I don't think is necessary.

As this is a DPM server, those rules (firewall) should already be in place. You just need to attach the new primary to the secondary DPM server by attaching the agent via DPM 2010 Administrator Console, Management -> Agents tab.

Thanks, Wilson Souza - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Sunday, January 22, 2012 7:02 PM
  • Attach should have worked.... as agent installation isn't necessary...

If this was a protected server with agent installed and protection working ok, attach should work in the same way...

Thanks, Wilson Souza - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Monday, January 23, 2012 3:38 AM

All replies

• This looks good to me. Only step 3 I don't think is necessary.

As this is a DPM server, those rules (firewall) should already be in place. You just need to attach the new primary to the secondary DPM server by attaching the agent via DPM 2010 Administrator Console, Management -> Agents tab.

Sunday, January 22, 2012 7:02 PM
  • The primary DPM server that was restored could not communicate with the 2ndary DPM server.  The agents tab on the 2ndary DPM showed that it was unable to communicate with the primary DPM server.  The only way I could restore the communication between the two was to copy the setdpmserver executable from another DPM protected node (as the command doesn't appear to be in the BIN folder of the dpm server) and run it.  Once I did that the firewall was properly configured on the primary DPM server, and the 2ndary server was then able to communicate.  i tried attaching, but it didn't want to do it ...my guess because the 2ndary DPM server figured the agent was already installed?

thanks

Monday, January 23, 2012 1:57 AM
  • Attach should have worked.... as agent installation isn't necessary...

If this was a protected server with agent installed and protection working ok, attach should work in the same way...

Monday, January 23, 2012 3:38 AM