none
Folder Redirection Storage Change but UNC path stays the same

Question

• Hello,

I have an issue in which I need to expand storage for a data storage location (lets call it drive D:). This is on a virtual server and I would prefer to not use the "Expand" option within disk management due to a hardware issue.

Instead I want to add another RAID1 drive set (lets call it drive E:) and replicate the data AND permissions from drive D: to drive E:

I would like to then disable the UNC shares on drive D: and recreate the same names and permissions (on the same server) on drive E:.

I know from an SMB perspective this will work fine. My question is whether or not folder redirection will freak out. I don't see how it would as I am never changing the UNC path within the GPO and the permissions are all the same for the user folders. However, I have seen folder redirection do some weird things in the past and wonder if anyone else has done this without having trouble.

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 2:35 PM

Answers

• > whether or not folder redirection will freak out.

No it will not. Make sure you copy all ACLs (robocopy /sec)... From the client perspective, nothing will change, so nothing will happen :)

These "weird" things are mostly related to incomplete understanding how FR will behave if things DO change.

• Marked as answer by ICS-USA Wednesday, March 15, 2017 3:37 PM
    Wednesday, March 15, 2017 3:33 PM