How to set the screensaver to how you want it when using SteadyState. RRS feed

• General discussion

• After reading this forum trying to find out how to set the screensaver to what I wanted it after installing steadystate, I didn't find any one place that gave a straight answer exactly how to do it, so i've decided to write what I did to set the screensaver to what I wanted. I assume you have some experience with editing the registry, cause if you don't know what you're doing you could stuff a lot of things up.

Whenever you change a user's settings in steadystate, as long as you didn't select "Log off when __ minutes idle" it sets the following registry keys in the kiosk users settings, which sets the timeout to ten minutes, and the screensaver to the default Windows screensaver.

HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\ScrnSave.exe                %SystemRoot%\system32\logon.scr

HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\ScreenSaveTimeout           600

HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\ScreenSaverIsSecure         0

HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\ScreenSaveActive                  1

By editing the above registry keys after you have closed steadystate, the settings will stay when you log on as the kiosk user. (Assuming you save changes if you have disk protection on.)

To change the screensaver put the screensaver you want in the ScrnSave.exe value. For example, I changed it to the picture slideshow screensaver by entering C:\Windows\System32\ssmypics.scr as the value.

To change the screensaver timeout, change the ScreenSaveTimeout value to the number of seconds.

To disable the screensaver completely, set ScreenSaveActive to 0.

The problem I had was how do I edit those keys from the Administrator account when they belonged in the kiosk user's registry.

To do this:

1. Run regedit.exe

2. Select HKEY_USERS and then click File>Load Hive...

3. Navigate to your kiosk users settings folder e.g C:\Documents and Settings\<kiosk user> (the folder name might have .orig on the end.)

4. Select the ntuser.man file and click Open. (It will be called ntuser.dat if the profile isn't locked in SteadyState, and you won't see it at all if Windows explorer isn't showing hidden files and folders.)

5. You will be promped to enter a key name, it's best to call it the user name, e.g. kiosk in my case.

6. You can now navigate the kiosk users registry, and change the above settings.
      instead of
      HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\
      you just go to
      HKEY_USERS\<key name>\Control Panel\Desktop\

etc.
      and you can change the registry settings for that user.

7. It is IMPORTANT that you unload the hive when you've finished, or you may have trouble logging in as that user. To do this select the key you created e.g  HKEY_USERS\<key name> and then click File>Unload Hive...   then confirm unloading the key and then close the registry editor.
      If you forget to unload and have problems logging in to your user account, just log out, log into the Administrator account again, run regedit, and unload the Hive you added.
    If you go back into steadystate and change the user settings again, you will have to edit the users registry again, however, if you are turning disk protection on or off it will not affect the screensaver.

Hope someone finds this helpful

-User Guy

Thursday, January 24, 2008 6:17 AM

All replies