none
round bars to whole days RRS feed

• Question

• Can anyone explain why 'round bars to whole days' seems not to be working for my gantt? I have a number of tasks whose duration is less than a day, and they are almost impossible to move by drag and drop as they are so small. I found an option on layout that would seem to solve this problem, but when selected it makes no differenec, the bars remain exactly the same. Is there some other setting I might have which disables this feature?
    Thursday, March 13, 2014 7:45 AM

Answers

• isaacson33,

That layout option doesn't work quite like you are expecting. What it does is set the start of a task to the beginning of a day regardless of when during the day you enter the task. For example, right now it is about 10:00 am. If I turn off the option and then create a new project and add a task, that task will start at 10:00am. If I turn the option on, which is the default, the task will automatically start at 8:00am.

The only option that might help you is to expand your timescale so it is easier to "grab" the short span tasks and move them.

Hope this helps.

John

Thursday, March 13, 2014 5:07 PM

All replies

• isaacson33,

That layout option doesn't work quite like you are expecting. What it does is set the start of a task to the beginning of a day regardless of when during the day you enter the task. For example, right now it is about 10:00 am. If I turn off the option and then create a new project and add a task, that task will start at 10:00am. If I turn the option on, which is the default, the task will automatically start at 8:00am.

The only option that might help you is to expand your timescale so it is easier to "grab" the short span tasks and move them.

Hope this helps.

John

Thursday, March 13, 2014 5:07 PM
  • I would say that trying to drag bars around on the chart with the mouse is so inaccurate, fiddly and error prone that it should not be done at all. There is always a better alternative, ie entering the data directly by typing it into the right cell.

MSP allows you to do a lot of things a lot of different ways but that doesn't mean they all good ideas, or things that you must do.

Thursday, March 13, 2014 11:06 PM
  • Thanks, that explains it.

On the subject of Zooming, I don't suppose there's a way of saving zooms, like you can with column layouts, filters etc? It would be really handy to be able to zoom in and out between two predefined timescales.

Friday, March 14, 2014 10:32 AM