none
Error connecting with microsoft account on iOS RD Client. Error is "The User Account Did Not Work" RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

Thank you for making RD Client for iOS! It is my preferred method for remotely accessing my Windows machines.

Unfortunately, I have this issue where I cannot connect to my remote Windows 10 machine with a Microsoft account, from an iOS RD Client (both OS and app are the latest versions, no betas). I tried connecting to my remote machine with MYNAME@live.com and my Microsoft Account password. It does not work, I get the error "The User Account Did Not Work".

I've tried the following:

Changing my user name input to .\USERNAME and PC-NAME\USERNAME instead of MYNAME@live.com.

Disabling Network Level Authentication.

Hopefully, additional useful information:

I can confirm that I've used the correct user name, got it from Computer Management. I can connect fine with a local account. I can also connect with my Microsoft account to another, entirely different, machine just fine. I've used a local account when installing Win 10 and then replaced that account with a Microsoft one (could this be a problem?).

Thank you for any help!

Tuesday, February 4, 2020 11:11 PM

All replies

• HI
    "I've used a local account when installing Win 10 and then replaced that account with a Microsoft one (could this be a problem?)."
    1.can you logon win10 by using local account and micrsoft account locally ?
    2.did you add the local account and microsoft account to local administrators group of win10 ?
    3.can you enter winver in command prompt on win10 computer and look the os version and os version number ?[for example windows 10  enterprise 1809 (os build 17763.316)]
    4.is your win10 in workgroup or in AD domain ?
    5.if we use  Remote Desktop iOS Beta client on your iphone or ipad ,will there be the same issue ?
    Here's how to set up the Remote Desktop Beta client on your iOS device:
    Install the Apple TestFlight app on your iOS device.
    On your iOS device, open a browser and navigate to aka.ms/rdiosbeta.
    Under the label Step 2 Join the Beta select Start Testing.
    When you are redirected to the TestFlight app, select Accept and then Install the client.
    6.do you have other win10 device is in the same network segment as iphone(or ipad )can remote access issue win10 ?
    7.what's os version of your ios?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 5, 2020 2:41 PM
  • HI

Is there any progress on your question?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Sunday, February 9, 2020 2:55 PM
  • Hi Andy,

Thank you for replying to my question. Let's go over each point:

1. I'm sorry, I don't think I understood the question. I can only login with my Microsoft account.

2. Yes, my Microsoft account is part of the Administrators group.

3. Sure. Version 1909. Build 18363.592. Windows 10 Pro.

4. It's part of a workgroup and not a domain.

5. Unfortunately I can't install the beta. It says that that beta expired or something.

6. Yes, it is working on other devices.

7. iOS 13.3.1

Sorry for the long delay. Thanks again!

Wednesday, February 12, 2020 10:29 PM
  • HI
    8.if we install Microsoft Remote Desktop 10.0.4 on ios device ,will the same issue happen ?
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/microsoft-remote-desktop/id714464092#?platform=ipad
    9."I can only login with my Microsoft account."
    I think we can create a local user account on win10 and use this new account to try to remote access from ios device(ipad) to this windows 10,will there be the same issue ?

Create a local user account
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/4026923/windows-10-create-a-local-user-or-administrator-account

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Saturday, February 15, 2020 3:35 AM
  • Hi Andy,

I already had the latest iOS Microsoft RD Client installed.

If I use a local account to connect it works, but I'm interested in using my Microsoft Account User and not a local user.

Saturday, February 15, 2020 3:54 PM