none
Moving Task Sequences From MDT 2010 to 2012 SP1 RRS feed

• Question

• I plan to upgrade MDT 2010 to 2012 SP1.  We might need to deploy Server 2008 R2 and do not have have Windows 8.1, so I don't see any reason to upgrade to MDT 2013.

One issue is that we may start getting a few Server 2012R2 servers and we are not going to retire our 2008 R2 severs any time soon and there is no version of MDT that supports both Server 2008 R2 and 2012 R2 at the same time.  MDT 2013 makes no reference to supporting Server 2008 R2 even though it supports Windows 7 from the same time frame.  How is that handled?

After upgrading the MDT, do the task sequences need to be recreated?  

If so, that sounds like a big pain because we have several deployment tasks each with many steps within them.

How would that be done? I saw a reference of "copy and paste" task sequence steps in another thread  How?  I don't see how you can copy and paste steps between different deployment tasks.

• Edited by MyGposts Thursday, March 20, 2014 5:48 AM
    Thursday, March 20, 2014 5:46 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Rest assured, Server 2008 R2 is supported with MDT 2013 just as Windows 7 is.

If you want to create a new deployment share, then create one, and open the old share too. Then you can drag and drop resources between two shares which will perform a file copy (on file level) to the new share.

Another alternative is to upgrade the current share and discontinue anything that isn't supported. Like removing Windows XP from this share.

Lastly you can CTRL+C CTRL+V steps from one task sequence into another task sequence. So that's not a problem.

If this post is helpful please click "Mark for answer", thanks! Kind regards

• Marked as answer by MyGposts Thursday, March 20, 2014 6:14 PM
    • Edited by Hollanders, Rens Thursday, March 20, 2014 7:45 PM
    Thursday, March 20, 2014 8:54 AM