host file is getting cleaned, please tel me can be the reason. RRS feed

• Question

• hi,

host file is getting cleaned,what could be the reason.

q1) first of all, i have to add all new sites and their ip addess in my host file, thought i am in domain.pls tel me is there any way to open the sites with out writting it in host file.

q2) I have been writting site and their ip in my host file but , Now some how it is getting overwritten. pls tel  me how it is getting overwritten.

yours sincerely

Friday, September 26, 2014 4:01 PM

Answers

• Hi rajemessage,

On a network using the TCP/IP protocol, it is necessary to convert names of resources to IP addresses to connect to these resources. Microsoft Windows clients will follow a sequence of methods in attempting to resolve a name to an address, stopping the search when it successfully matches a name to an IP address.

First, it would search the local host file, if there is not matched address, DNS server is required. If the name is still not resolved, NetBIOS name resolution sequence is used as a backup.

About your second question, if there is some group policy deployed to the client side, it would affect the current file. You need check if all clients has this same issue, if not, this should be related to third-party application which could overwrite the host file.

Alex Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, September 29, 2014 5:39 AM

All replies

• It is absolutely impossible to tell you what is overwriting your host file.  Perhaps a debugger might be able to identify the offending application or process.

I suggest you make a backup of your host file so you do not have to rewrite it every time it is overwritten.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Friday, September 26, 2014 4:34 PM
  • pls tel be about debugger.
    Saturday, September 27, 2014 3:09 PM
  • http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff551063(v=vs.85).aspx

You can also find more information about debugging by searching the internet

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Saturday, September 27, 2014 4:05 PM
  • Please provide me any link, which can tel me how to use these tools, to find the above mentioned problem.

"till now, i know to debug web sites using vs 2013."

yours sincerley

Sunday, September 28, 2014 6:47 AM
  • Read the information @ the first link above: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff551063%28v=vs.85%29.aspx and start by clicking on the links on the left.  The very first one is titled Getting Started with WinDbg (User-Mode) and just continue reading.

You will have to read the information for yourself. I cannot read it for you.

Sunday, September 28, 2014 12:12 PM
  • re. q1 - You are saying that you have to enter all web sites in to the host file to access them?  This clearly indicates a DNS problem.  Please post a copy of  ipconfig /all  (run in a command prompt).  Do you have a domain administrator? Have you asked the admin?  Do other computers on the domain have this problem?

re. q2  Again, if you have a domain admin your should discuss. There might be a group policy on the server involved.  You might also see if this happens in selective startup.  Perhaps some program (most likely part of your security software) may be reverting the host file.

Sunday, September 28, 2014 7:16 PM
  • Hi rajemessage,

On a network using the TCP/IP protocol, it is necessary to convert names of resources to IP addresses to connect to these resources. Microsoft Windows clients will follow a sequence of methods in attempting to resolve a name to an address, stopping the search when it successfully matches a name to an IP address.

First, it would search the local host file, if there is not matched address, DNS server is required. If the name is still not resolved, NetBIOS name resolution sequence is used as a backup.

About your second question, if there is some group policy deployed to the client side, it would affect the current file. You need check if all clients has this same issue, if not, this should be related to third-party application which could overwrite the host file.

Alex Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, September 29, 2014 5:39 AM