none
Create recovery point does enable consistency check? RRS feed

• Question

• I really want to understand this DPM about "Create Recovery Point" under PG which we created.

My basic understanding about this "Create Recovery Point" is to manually trigger and start the job immediately, correct me if I'm wrong.

However I did notice the job take very long to finish. In 20 hours elapsed only 500GB been written to tapes. Yes we use Long Term (TP) only to tapes.

I got feeling this "Create Recovery Point" enable consistency check or perhaps accidentally press consistency check by chosen YES.

So my question here is:

1. How do I check if "Create Recovery Point" does enable consistency check?

2. How do I disable consistency check on normal trigger? Not by through modifying Protection Group.

Since I create PG without enabling the consistency check all the backup using schedule should be not enable consistency check by default.

Or simple question is "How I disable consistency check, whatever been applied either through PG or anything on particular job we run?"
    • Edited by Oneoa Monday, May 28, 2012 3:10 AM
    Monday, May 28, 2012 2:56 AM

All replies

• Hi Oneoa,

"Create Recovery Point" don't trigger a "Consistency Check". If your replica is inconcistent you cannot trigger a Recovery Point.

Options for Concistency Check is available through "Modify Protection Group" in action pane => "Choose Concistency Check Options":

- Run Concistency Check if a replica become... (Auto-Heal function)

- Run a daily...

You are protecting File, tell me if your are doing Synchronization every xx minutes or just before Recovery Point ?

When you are running your Job, take look at monitoring screen, filter on "Job in progress" and tell us what you see ?

How much is the size of the Replica.

Maybe your isue is maybe just due to the size of your data or your Bandwith between your server and your tape, and so on.

Stéphane

Monday, May 28, 2012 8:54 AM
  • Hi Oneoa,

"Create Recovery Point" don't trigger a "Consistency Check". If your replica is inconcistent you cannot trigger a Recovery Point.

Options for Concistency Check is available through "Modify Protection Group" in action pane => "Choose Concistency Check Options":

- Run Concistency Check if a replica become... (Auto-Heal function)

- Run a daily...

You are protecting File, tell me if your are doing Synchronization every xx minutes or just before Recovery Point ?

When you are running your Job, take look at monitoring screen, filter on "Job in progress" and tell us what you see ?

How much is the size of the Replica.

Maybe your isue is maybe just due to the size of your data or your Bandwith between your server and your tape, and so on.

Stéphane

If we not trigger by manually/click on "Create Recovery Point" on PG, in normal circumstances using schedule the backup running normal. If we trigger using "Create Recovery Point" the backup take ages. Are you sure about this? So my question is why take so long if we trigger manually.

• Edited by Oneoa Monday, May 28, 2012 10:17 AM
    Monday, May 28, 2012 10:17 AM
  • Oneoa,

Which kind of data are you protecting in your PG ? Could you give more details on settings ?

For files, Create Recovery Point manually you should have theses options :

- Create a Recovery Point after synchronizing (I assume this is your Default setting)

- Create a Recovery Point without synchronizing

- Only Synchronize

For Applications:

- Create a Recovery Point by using Express Full Backup

Both process trigger "synchronization"...

For the moment, I have no idea why you have this weird behaviour...

Stéphane

Monday, May 28, 2012 1:04 PM
  • Oneoa,

Which kind of data are you protecting in your PG ? Could you give more details on settings ?

For files, Create Recovery Point manually you should have theses options :

- Create a Recovery Point after synchronizing (I assume this is your Default setting)

- Create a Recovery Point without synchronizing

- Only Synchronize

For Applications:

- Create a Recovery Point by using Express Full Backup

Both process trigger "synchronization"...

For the moment, I have no idea why you have this weird behaviour...

Stéphane

We trigger manually to run the protection, these below screenshot how I did trigger it. By right click on the PG and click on "Create Recovery Point". I didn't see anything mention about you mention. Where those option are? At backup to disk? We do not have backup to disk, because disk to disk backup costly. So we use backup to Tape only and only use LT.

And this the result below.
    As we using DELL TL2000 with 2 drives, both are running almost at the same time.
    Only different about 4-5 minutes I triggered the second server. and the result so so so slow.
    27 hours only backup 740GB, unbelievable. So in the end after server1 finish I need to cancel at server2.
    Because other schedule backup will be running in couple hours again.
    That the reason we questioning this "Create Recovery Point" does it enabled consistency check?
    If consistency check only available backup to disk then why this take ages to finish?

• Edited by Oneoa Tuesday, May 29, 2012 2:08 AM
    Tuesday, May 29, 2012 2:06 AM