renaming 2003 domain RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All I have red experiences of people who done domain rename.

I have a different situation and i whish to discuss with you guys to see whether i have any other option instas of Domain Renaming.

I have  2  win 2003 servers (PDC & BDC) one is Primary DC and the second one is replication partner of the first one. The FQDN is PDC.Mycompany.com and BDC.mycompany.com.

My issye is, our corporate E mail ID also has the same domain name admin@mycompany.com.

As Mycompany.com refering to my domain, i couldnt use e mail server with the same domain name. 

is it possiable to maintain my domain name mycompany.com and use exchange or other 3rd party mail servers to configure a mail server mycompany.com?

I have tried to use Mdaemon . but it is not allowing me to configure mycompany.com as a e mail server.

As mycompany.com is my web address, and mail.mycompany.com is my incoming and outgoing e mail servers in the internet, i have made  2 entries in the DNS to enable communication to web and mail

WWW and MAIL

is it possiable to configure an e mail server with current settings (domain mane --mycompany.com

regards

suman

Tuesday, September 7, 2010 2:23 PM

Answers

I have a different situation and i whish to discuss with you guys to see whether i have any other option instas of Domain Renaming.

I have  2  win 2003 servers (PDC & BDC) one is Primary DC and the second one is replication partner of the first one. The FQDN is PDC.Mycompany.com and BDC.mycompany.com.

My issye is, our corporate E mail ID also has the same domain name admin@mycompany.com.

As Mycompany.com refering to my domain, i couldnt use e mail server with the same domain name. 

[cut]

Hi.

Who tells you that you "couldnt use e mail server with the same domain name".

You can!

Obviously you have to remove your external mail server and manage all messages with an internal mail server.

Edoardo Benussi - Microsoft® MVP
    Management Infrastructure - Systems Administration
    https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/Profile/Benussi
    Windows Server Italian Forum Moderator
    edo[at]mvps[dot]org
    • Proposed as answer by Edoardo BenussiMVP Tuesday, September 7, 2010 3:08 PM
    • Marked as answer by Vksumanlal Thursday, November 18, 2010 5:14 PM
    Tuesday, September 7, 2010 3:08 PM
  • Hi suman,

you can try following solution in test environment

http://www.petri.co.il/windows_2003_domain_controller_rename.htm

• Marked as answer by Bruce-Liu Friday, October 15, 2010 11:08 AM
    Tuesday, September 7, 2010 3:26 PM

All replies

[cut]

Hi.

Who tells you that you "couldnt use e mail server with the same domain name".

You can!

Obviously you have to remove your external mail server and manage all messages with an internal mail server.

Edoardo Benussi - Microsoft® MVP
    Management Infrastructure - Systems Administration
    https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/Profile/Benussi
    Windows Server Italian Forum Moderator
    edo[at]mvps[dot]org
    • Proposed as answer by Edoardo BenussiMVP Tuesday, September 7, 2010 3:08 PM
    • Marked as answer by Vksumanlal Thursday, November 18, 2010 5:14 PM
    Tuesday, September 7, 2010 3:08 PM
  • Hi suman,

you can try following solution in test environment

http://www.petri.co.il/windows_2003_domain_controller_rename.htm

• Marked as answer by Bruce-Liu Friday, October 15, 2010 11:08 AM
    Tuesday, September 7, 2010 3:26 PM