Yahoo mail wants to run add on 'Windows script host runtime library' RRS feed

• Question

• Yahoo mail wants to run add on 'Windows script host runtime library'  How do I stop this message from appearing.  IE 11.  Began 4/8/2017.  Only appears with Yahoo mail.
    Sunday, April 9, 2017 4:17 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You can try to disable it via registry.

Please type regedit.exe in Run box and hit Enter to open the Registry Editor.

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows Script Host\Settings

In the right panel, you will see Enabled.

Double Click on it and give it Value Data 0 to disable it.

( A value of 1 will enable Windows Script Host

A value of 0 will disable Windows Script Host)

Click on OK and exit the Registry. If you don’t see this entry, then you may need to create it, as it does not exist by default in Windows.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Tony_Tao Wednesday, April 19, 2017 2:38 AM
    Monday, April 10, 2017 5:56 AM
  • Hi,

We haven’t heard from you for a couple of days, have you solved the problem? We are looking forward to your good news.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 2:38 AM
  • "This web page wants to run the following add-on: 'Windows Script Host Runtime Library' from 'Microsoft Corporation'."

I started getting this at about the same time as Kuzink when accessing Yahoo mail in the browser. I haven't attempted the registry edit you suggest. I was expecting to find more Yahoo users lookin for answers but to date, this post is the only one I've seen.

The sort of things I want to know are (and I appreciate most of these are not to do with Microsoft):

1) Is the message genuinely due to Yahoo Mail as it appears or could it be due to something I have picked up in an email?

2) What is it trying to change in my browser?

3) What am I missing out on if I don't allow it?

4) What risk am I taking in having it turned on going forward?

The registry edit described doesn't address any of this. In fact, wouldn't it just disable the library if it was enabled already - would it even stop the web page from wanting to run it?

I am on Windows 10 and the browser is Internet Explorer 11.

Friday, May 5, 2017 11:46 AM
  • I have the same problem and questions and use the same software as Jess Noname.
    Friday, May 5, 2017 12:49 PM
  • The pop-up msg mentioned above does not seem to be unique to Yahoo mail. I got the same thing using W10 & IE11 on sites like Weather Underground and CNBC. Answers to the questions raised would be helpful. Anybody looking into them?
    Thursday, May 25, 2017 5:46 PM
  • I am seeing 5 choices:

Default--value not set

Active Debugging--1

Display Logo--1

Silent Terminate--0

Use WINSAFER--1

Is it any of these? If not, please explain how I "create" what I need to stop the message "Windows script host runtime library." Thank.

Tuesday, June 27, 2017 6:26 PM
  • It's a month later, and I am seeing this for the first time in my att.net email (supposed to be the same as yahoo). I, too, use Windows 10 and IE 11. In recent days, I've also seen a warning message about an invalid script when I'm signing out at the end of the day. I click "continue", and it repeats 2 or 3 times, then goes away. 
    Tuesday, June 27, 2017 9:25 PM
  • I would like answers to this/these questions too. Is there an MS person can answer them?

What is causing it? Is it ads on the site? .... you guys need to answer properly ... we are not all ignorant twits.

Just explain whats going on and why? Then we can decide on disabling or not.

Thanks

Thursday, July 6, 2017 8:57 PM
  • I am having the same issue with Yahoo mail. I would like to know why this message appears, what will happen if I allow it to run, what's the risk if I disable it? Then, I can make a decision on how to proceed. Thanks!
    Thursday, July 6, 2017 9:25 PM