Send To shortcut Missing in Virtualized Application? RRS feed

• Question

• AppV Version: 5.0 SP2 HF4 Sequencer & HF5 client

Application: Helios TextPad 4.7

Issue: Source creates shortcut in Send to Menu as shown menu,

Where as the same is missing in the Virtualized Application. Below is the deployment config.xml,

I did de-virtualization(expand package to local system) & found that the send to shortcut exists.

Any Suggestions?

Monday, April 27, 2015 7:48 AM

Answers

• Afaik there is no global token.... you could create a script to copy the shortcut to the userprofile. I would suggest a startVE script as it has to run under user rights. So the every time the user starts the VE of this package, perform a check on the file under %appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo, if it's not there, copy/create it. The sendto option will get available after the user once started the application. The only problem you have it to howto remove it after the application get's removed.

Wednesday, April 29, 2015 9:06 AM

All replies

• Why not open the application for upgrade within the sequencer, go to Shortcuts and FTA's, edit the Helios TextPad shortcut and check the box for the Send to Menu option and then save. Test the application on a clean machine and see if that fixes it for you

If that doesn't work for you then you should be able to remove it from the configuration file above but that should not be necessary in this case, I believe.

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

• Edited by RorymonMVP Monday, April 27, 2015 3:49 PM
    Monday, April 27, 2015 2:33 PM
  • Rory, I need that shortcut in my Package. But, when i publish my Package the Send to shortcut is missing.

When I edit-->update existing package, I see that the check box for Send to is enabled. But, don't know why it's missing when I publish the package.

Monday, April 27, 2015 3:24 PM
  • Are you looking at the Config file from within the package or the Deployment or User configs that are external?

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

Monday, April 27, 2015 3:51 PM
  • I'm looking at external deploymentConfig.xml file, Rory.
    Tuesday, April 28, 2015 6:34 AM
  • Check the internal manifest file and confirm the configuration is in there... If not apply the deployment-config to the client.
    Tuesday, April 28, 2015 7:51 AM
  • hey

I've opened AppxManifest.xml in Package Cache & found that the Send to shortcut exists,

Tuesday, April 28, 2015 1:05 PM
  • This seems to be OK, I think you target the package global... this way the shortcut will not be available. To check this, enable the Appv5 Subsystems-shortcuts eventlog.... remove package from the client, and republish again. You will get a warning like: 

Shortcut will not be published/unpublished since the publishing is global but the token does not have global target. Path: '[{SendTo}]\TextPad.lnk'.
    So, try to publish to a user, and check it works. 

Tuesday, April 28, 2015 2:48 PM
  • You are right as I got the same warning when published Globally & when published to user, shortcut is created.

Can you please help me with how to create Global target for the token.

I need that shortcut when published Globally. Please help me with the options available.

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, April 29, 2015 7:44 AM
  • Afaik there is no global token.... you could create a script to copy the shortcut to the userprofile. I would suggest a startVE script as it has to run under user rights. So the every time the user starts the VE of this package, perform a check on the file under %appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo, if it's not there, copy/create it. The sendto option will get available after the user once started the application. The only problem you have it to howto remove it after the application get's removed.

Wednesday, April 29, 2015 9:06 AM
  • Yes, this is annoying.

Another option to alleviate the issue is to edit your _DeploymentConfig.xml file and change:

<File>[{SendTo}]\TestPad.lnk</File>

to something like:

<File>[{UserProfiles}]\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo\TestPad.lnk</File>

However, this will only work for new user logons.  It works well in a stateless VDI environment where each logon gets a default user profile.

For those not in a stateless environment it will also leave a broken SendTo shortcut after unpublish without some form of house keeping check similar to the startVE answer above.  

• Edited by Tywin Lannister Thursday, October 29, 2015 11:03 PM slight variation to answer
    Thursday, October 29, 2015 10:11 PM