Foreach loop is returning same data multiple times instead of one RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I cannot figure it out why simple command in foreach loop is returning same data for each object passing it.

This is just example

$mailboxes = Get-Mailbox -ResultSize Unlimited | ? {$_.RecipientTypeDetails -eq 'UserMailbox' -or $_.RecipientTypeDetails -eq 'SharedMailbox'}

foreach ($m in $mailboxes) { do something}

Does not matter if I use get or set or anything other I will get result of each object passing it. So if I have 100 mailboxes it will give me same result for every mailbox passing by inested of only one. Even if I do like this same result

foreach ($m in Get-Mailbox -ResultSize Unlimited | ? {$_.RecipientTypeDetails -eq 'UserMailbox' -or $_.RecipientTypeDetails -eq 'SharedMailbox'}) {do something}

• Edited by Zumberak Thursday, August 8, 2019 9:07 AM
    Thursday, August 8, 2019 9:06 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Try to run like this.

$mailboxes = (Get-Mailbox -ResultSize Unlimited -RecipientTypeDetails UserMailbox,SharedMailbox).identity

$mailboxes.foreach{

Set-Mailbox -Identity $_ -RoleAssignmentPolicy <policyname>}

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. 
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Zumberak Friday, August 9, 2019 4:50 AM
    Thursday, August 8, 2019 11:51 AM
  • Hi,

of course it will behave that way...You need to edit the statement in the forach loop, so it looks like this:

$mailboxes = Get-Mailbox -ResultSize Unlimited -RecipientTypeDetails UserMailbox,SharedMailbox

foreach ($m in $mailboxes) {

Set-Mailbox -Identity $m.identity -RoleAssignmentPolicy <policyname> 

}

When you are in the foreach look each object is represented by the $m variable, which you specified in the condition. So in each loop, each mailbox is saved to $m. In order to get the Identity of it, while inside the loop, you need to reference it properly like in the example...

Please try it like this...

Regards,

(Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" where applicable. This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognizes useful contributions. Thanks!) Blog: https://blog.pohn.ch/ Twitter: @StoyanChalakov

Thursday, August 8, 2019 12:19 PM

All replies

• Hi,

this seems strange...I think it might have something to do with the data, saved in $mailboxes..

When you run:

$mailboxes = Get-Mailbox -ResultSize Unlimited | ? {$_.RecipientTypeDetails -eq 'UserMailbox' -or $_.RecipientTypeDetails -eq 'SharedMailbox'}

and then just check what is stored in $mailboxes..what do you see? Can you post a screenshot?

Can you please also test like this:

$mailboxes = Get-Mailbox -ResultSize Unlimited -RecipientTypeDetails UserMailbox,SharedMailbox

Regards,

(Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" where applicable. This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognizes useful contributions. Thanks!) Blog: https://blog.pohn.ch/ Twitter: @StoyanChalakov

Thursday, August 8, 2019 9:24 AM
  • Hi Stoyan,

Thank you for your answer. Both ways are giving the same result. When I run $mailboxes it gives me Name of the mailbox, alias, database , quota and externaldirectoryobjectid. I see all user and share mailboxes. Everything looks fine. But foreach loop is looping through all objects and returning the same result for each object so I get very long list of user mailboxes for each object.

• Edited by Zumberak Thursday, August 8, 2019 10:10 AM
    Thursday, August 8, 2019 10:09 AM
  • Hi,

can you post an example of what exactly are you doing in the {do something} section of your code?

Regards,

Thursday, August 8, 2019 10:15 AM
  • Would love to see an example of your for each aswell.

Given that the $mailboxes data looks fine (your own statement), my guess would be that you should look there for the cause of your issue. 
    Thursday, August 8, 2019 10:52 AM
  • Hi guys,

It's look like that it looping only when you run get command.

I am trying to set new roleassignmentpolicy on all mailboxes but when I run it is complaining on 

Cannot bind argument to parameter 'Identity' because it is null.
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidData: (:) [Set-Mailbox], ParameterBindingValidationException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ParameterArgumentValidationErrorNullNotAllowed,Set-Mailbox
        + PSComputerName        : outlook.office365.com

Here is the code. 

foreach ($m in $mailboxes)

{Set-Mailbox -Identity $_.identity -RoleAssignmentPolicy <policyname> }

It should not be null because when I run $mailboxes.identity I get all users. I tried to run even like this $_ but same error message. 

• Edited by Zumberak Thursday, August 8, 2019 11:45 AM
    Thursday, August 8, 2019 11:44 AM
  • Hi,

Try to run like this.

$mailboxes = (Get-Mailbox -ResultSize Unlimited -RecipientTypeDetails UserMailbox,SharedMailbox).identity

$mailboxes.foreach{

Set-Mailbox -Identity $_ -RoleAssignmentPolicy <policyname>}

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. 
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Thursday, August 8, 2019 11:51 AM
  • Hi,

of course it will behave that way...You need to edit the statement in the forach loop, so it looks like this:

foreach ($m in $mailboxes) {

Set-Mailbox -Identity $m.identity -RoleAssignmentPolicy <policyname> 

}

When you are in the foreach look each object is represented by the $m variable, which you specified in the condition. So in each loop, each mailbox is saved to $m. In order to get the Identity of it, while inside the loop, you need to reference it properly like in the example...

Please try it like this...

Regards,

Thursday, August 8, 2019 12:19 PM