none
Can a Hyper-V and other initial replicas be manually transferred for secondary protection in DPM 2016? RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to use offline transferring of DPM 2016 Hyper-V and other replicas to a system for secondary protection to minimize bandwidth impact.  I am familiar with the following process for 2012R2: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askpfeplat/2016/02/01/pre-seeding-hyper-v-backups-in-dpm/

However, can that same process be used in DPM 2016 using Modern Backup Storage and Resilient change tracking (RCT) for Hyper-V guests?  I don't see the folder named in the Replica Details dialog for the protected guest being present on the system in any manner.

Thanks.

• Edited by simdoc Wednesday, December 7, 2016 11:03 PM
    Monday, December 5, 2016 11:28 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Yes, it is still possible to perform manual initial replica using DPM 2016 Modern Backup Storage (MBS) - please review this forum post for detailed steps.  FYI a new BLOG is in the works and will be published soon.

Manual replica creation with MBS on DPM 2016 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, December 15, 2016 4:58 PM

All replies

• Some of the code is still there at least. I got a "manual replica creation pending" message when playing around with DPM 2016 in my lab. Not shure if manual replica creation is still a thing with MBS.
    Thursday, December 8, 2016 5:10 PM
  • I saw the "manual replica creating pending" as well, but don't know how to get the source for that replica.  I hope it is still possible.  With large sources, bandwidth may be a major limit.  Since new installations of DPM 2016 on Windows 2016 MUST use MBS, leaving this feature out will be a problem for large initial replicas.
    Thursday, December 8, 2016 5:46 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, it is still possible to perform manual initial replica using DPM 2016 Modern Backup Storage (MBS) - please review this forum post for detailed steps.  FYI a new BLOG is in the works and will be published soon.

Manual replica creation with MBS on DPM 2016 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, December 15, 2016 4:58 PM
  • Can you go back to that post and answer the question concerning secondary protection?  Thanks.
    Thursday, December 15, 2016 5:22 PM