In SharePoint 2007 Document library docx xslx not updating properties. RRS feed

• Question

• I have a sharepoint 2007 site with a custom document library.

I am able to create new document and upload new versions also

When I upload newer version of existing document for '.doc', it is connecting me to old document propeties.

But, If I upload newer version for "docx / xslx", it is not connecting to old properties. Asking to ebter all properites, like a new item.

Is there any issue with the 'docx/xlsx' in sharepoint 2007/wss 3.0.

- GEM
    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, August 24, 2011 8:28 AM admin q not customization (From:SharePoint - Design and Customization (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Wednesday, August 24, 2011 7:37 AM

All replies

• Hi GEMZz,

When uploading a document (.doc/.docx/.xlsx), it means new an item, check overwrite existing files, we can overwrite the file with same name.

If the document library has no new created/added columns, uploading a document with same name as an exist one, it will be uploaded directly to the library, override the existing one, because the default column like created/modified by cannot be modified in this situation.

If the document library has new created/added columns, uploading a document with the same name as an existing one, it will go to EditForm.aspx page for us to edit the uploaded item.

As you said with a “custom document library”, do you mean create a library using document library template, if so, would you please check whether the scenario you met is related to columns in the library?

Thanks,
    Qiao Wei

Thursday, August 25, 2011 10:30 AM
  • Wei, thanks for your reply.

Here, I have followed as you have descripbed. That is Document library only.

I have only one site collection, with different sites.

Here Issue is I am able to upload and edit doc in docx/xslx for a custom doclib in other site of the same site collection. But, not allowing in one site.

Is there any property / feature to make it possible at site level?

- GEM
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 12:47 PM
  • Hi GEMZz,

Thanks for posting back.

I’m sorry that I’m not clear about “able to upload and edit doc in docx/xslx for a custom doclib in other site of the same site collection, not allowing in one site”, would you please provide more information about how it is not allowing in one site?

Thanks,
    Qiao Wei

Monday, August 29, 2011 11:38 AM
  • Yeah... I have only one site collection and different sites and sub sites.

I am able to upload in one site, not able to upload in other site.

I donno the reason abt this behaviour.

IF there is any property required to change in CA it has to effect total site collection. So, I thought I have to do something from the site level. Isn't it?

- GEM
    Saturday, September 3, 2011 8:02 PM
  • I am not sure on Server envonment.

Is there any chance to have have WSS 3.0 only in one Site collection and SharePoint 2007 on other site collection of the same web application.

I have 2 site collections on the same server. But, I am seeing difference between 2 different document libraries (DocLib A, DocLib B) of these 2 site collections.

Observed Points:

DocLib A:

I have uploaded 2 documents.

Test1.doc -

First time upload - Test1.doc, Saved (asked me to Save not 'Checked In'). Version 1.0 created.
    Manually 'Checked-In' and uploaded new version of the '.doc'.
    Edited the '.doc' manually, uploaded, and Saved.
    There is a change in the Version History - 2.0, 3.0 created.(2 versions created, not one)

Test2.docx - 

First time upload - Test2.docx, Saved (asked me to Save not 'Checked In'. Version 1.0 created.
    Manually 'Checked-In' and uploaded new version of the .docx
    Edited the '.docx' manually, uploaded, and Saved - Observed that previously saved properties / columns data has been disppieared. So, adding manually with the same properties / columns data.
    There is a change in the Version History - 2.0, 3.0 created. (2 created,  not one)

DocLib B:

Test1.doc -

First time upload - Test1.doc, Checked In (asked me to 'Checked In', not Save). Version 1.0 created.
    Manually 'Checked-In' and uploaded new version of the .doc.
    Edited the '.doc' manually, uploaded, and Saved.
    There is a change in the Version History - 2.0 created.

Test2.docx - 

First time upload - Test2.docx, Saved (asked me to 'Checked In', not Save). Version 1.0 created.
    Manually 'Checked-In' and uploaded new version of the .docx
    Edited the '.docx' manually, uploaded, and Saved - Observed that previously saved properties / columns data.
    There is a change in the Version History - 2.0 created.

Thanks,

- GEM
    Monday, October 3, 2011 7:58 AM