Webpart to show siblings from Parent list RRS feed

• Question

• Hello! I am very new to SharePoint, and I am looking for the best way to accomplish a particular task.
    *We are running SP 2013 Foundations. We are planning to license for 2016 Standard before the end of the year.

-We have two lists, one that acts a parent (categories) and one that acts as a child (systems).
    -There is a lookup field in the child list (systems) that links to a list item in the parent (categories).
    -Every system has a category. Multiple systems can belong to a category.

We have a custom page that has other filtered web parts based on a URL parameter binding (system).
    This works wonderful for any lists that match the child item (system).

However, we would like to add a webpart that displays all siblings (any other system that belongs to the same category).

I am not sure how to create a custom query like this within the limitations of SP 2013 Foundations.

Monday, February 20, 2017 5:43 PM

Answers

• Hi Lyndsay T,

You could insert another List web part (systems) to the custom page for showing all related child date that belongs to the same parent item.

Here are the steps for your reference:

1. There are two lists, a parent list called “country”, and another child list called “city”. I have created a custom page and insert the child list “city” called “city [1]”  and a Query String (URL) filter web part into the page. Connect the URL filter web part to “city [1]”. Then I can filter the “city [1]” using the URL filter, as shown in the following image.

2. Add another child list web part called “city [2]” into the page, connect it to “city [1]” and Get filter values from “city [1]” for showing other cities that belongs to the same country.

3. Save the changes.

Then we can get the related cities that belongs to the same country.

Best regards,

Linda Zhang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Proposed as answer by Navazee Shaik Tuesday, February 21, 2017 9:20 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sjoukje ZaalMVP Thursday, March 16, 2017 9:33 AM
    Tuesday, February 21, 2017 8:14 AM
  • Hi Lyndsay T,

In SharePoint server including SharePoint Foundation, once we create a lookup column, from the target list's point of view, the list that contains the lookup field is a related list. We can modify the list view page, display and edit forms of the target list to display related data from the source list.

Edit the page in the target list > Click Insert > Click Related List, and then select the related list.

Information about how to display related list in the target list:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Create-list-relationships-by-using-unique-and-lookup-columns-80a3e0a6-8016-41fb-ad09-8bf16d490632

But this function only works in the target list. If we want to show the related data in other custom page in SharePoint Foundation, we should use the filter by deploying custom solutions. Read this article for learning more about SharePoint development.

Best regards,

Linda Zhang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Proposed as answer by Victoria Xia Thursday, March 2, 2017 1:44 AM
    Wednesday, February 22, 2017 1:48 AM

All replies

• Hi Lyndsay T,

You could insert another List web part (systems) to the custom page for showing all related child date that belongs to the same parent item.

Here are the steps for your reference:

1. There are two lists, a parent list called “country”, and another child list called “city”. I have created a custom page and insert the child list “city” called “city [1]”  and a Query String (URL) filter web part into the page. Connect the URL filter web part to “city [1]”. Then I can filter the “city [1]” using the URL filter, as shown in the following image.

2. Add another child list web part called “city [2]” into the page, connect it to “city [1]” and Get filter values from “city [1]” for showing other cities that belongs to the same country.

3. Save the changes.

Then we can get the related cities that belongs to the same country.

Best regards,

Linda Zhang

• Proposed as answer by Navazee Shaik Tuesday, February 21, 2017 9:20 AM
    Tuesday, February 21, 2017 8:14 AM
  • Thank you! This doesn't work with SP Foundations 2013, but should work great when we do move to Standard.
    Tuesday, February 21, 2017 4:51 PM
  • Hi Lyndsay T,

In SharePoint server including SharePoint Foundation, once we create a lookup column, from the target list's point of view, the list that contains the lookup field is a related list. We can modify the list view page, display and edit forms of the target list to display related data from the source list.

Edit the page in the target list > Click Insert > Click Related List, and then select the related list.

Information about how to display related list in the target list:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Create-list-relationships-by-using-unique-and-lookup-columns-80a3e0a6-8016-41fb-ad09-8bf16d490632

But this function only works in the target list. If we want to show the related data in other custom page in SharePoint Foundation, we should use the filter by deploying custom solutions. Read this article for learning more about SharePoint development.

Best regards,

Linda Zhang

• Proposed as answer by Victoria Xia Thursday, March 2, 2017 1:44 AM
    Wednesday, February 22, 2017 1:48 AM
  • Hi Linda, 

I know this is a pretty old thread but I'm hoping you still get a notification for this.

I've tried to do this. But every time I change the view on city[1], the URL gets changed to filter the view of city[2]. Because of that I am losing the URL parameter for city[1]. 

Do you know about this problem? And is there any way around this? 

Best regards,

Alexander T

Wednesday, July 3, 2019 9:40 AM