SCCM 2012 R2 SP1 - SCCM 2012 R2 SP2 Migration issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I'm hoping someone can assist with a very strange issue we are experiencing?

I'll try to give an overview to start and if you need more information please say as I don't really know what to provide.

We have a newly installed SCCM 2012 R2 SP2 environment, setup in as a standalone Primary, with SQL 2014 along side. We want to migrate away from a Hierarchy CAS plus Primary running SCCM 2012 R2 SP1. Our main aim is to remove the CAS.

So we have the Migration Source Hierarchy setup and enabled the Shared Distribution Points feature, these all worked fine. Added a few devices to the Destination SCCM and confirmed they communicate with the New Primary. We have now come to migrate our first application (Adobe Reader) that is hosted on the shared distribution point, the Migration Job complete successfully. We then add a device on the Destination SCCM to the Migrated Deployment of Adobe Reader and attempt to deploy. The application start in Software Center but never progresses further then 0% Downloading. We checked the CAS.log and its confirms its pulling from the Shared Distribution Point. However the location including the ContentID does not resolved to a location on the Shared Distribution Point. This leads us to look at the Content ID of that applications Deployment Type, and its confirmed to have changed. This is my first question below :) So we decide to try another application Migration, this time we try Office Professional Plus 2010, that is migrated fine, we check the Content ID and that is the same as the Source SCCM.. We run a test deployment in the Destination and that works fine. So at this point we have a 50/50 success rate, however we now Migrate a few more applications about 15, and out of those 15 only 1 other is working Visio Standard 2010 which has the same Content ID as the Source again. The others all have different Content ID's on the Destination to the Source and don't work. This then leads me on to my remaining questions...

1. Will migrated Applications on a Share Distribution Point have a new Content ID?

2. If the Content ID changes how does the Destination client know where to look on the Shared Distribution Point for the migrated content?

3. If its not supposed to change why is it for ours, or why are some not changing?

To me it looks like this - taken from the Migration TN article.

"When you migrate a package that is hosted on a shared distribution point, the package version must remain the same in the source and destination hierarchies. When a package version is not the same in the source and destination hierarchy, clients in the destination hierarchy cannot retrieve that content from the shared distribution point. Therefore, if you update a package in the source hierarchy, you must re-migrate the package data before clients in the destination hierarchy can retrieve that content from a shared distribution point."

But I can confirm no one is changing the applications in the source.

Regards

Chris Wright

Friday, July 17, 2015 2:26 PM

All replies

• Hello,

What is the content status message in console?

Any clue in distmgr.log?

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 22, 2015 5:38 AM
  • Did you make any progress with this? I'm seeing the exact same behavior migrating from SCCM 2012 SP1 to SCCM 2012 R2. Some applications maintain their Content IDs during migration, and others do not. 
    Wednesday, August 26, 2015 8:47 PM

• We have a newly installed SCCM 2012 R2 SP2 environment, setup in as a standalone Primary, with SQL 2014 along side. We want to migrate away from a Hierarchy CAS plus Primary running SCCM 2012 R2 SP1. Our main aim is to remove the CAS.

That version does not exist. It's either R2SP1 or SP2. 
    Also keep in mind that the version should match: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg712313.aspx#BKMK_SupportedMigrationVersions

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Thursday, August 27, 2015 5:58 AM