none
Questions on booting Win 10 from external USB with MDT iso content RRS feed

• Question

• In MDT, the 'Format and Partition Disk' tasks always use 'Standard (MBR)' as 'Disk Type', so I think that's how the target disk is formatted and partitioned.

Now we put the iso content in an external USB HDD, we got 'Selected boot device failed' error during BIOS boot ('USB storage' selected). We tried both 'legacy' and 'EUFI' and the same error.

With diskpart, we found that the USB dis is 'gpt' (not MBR), is that ok or it has to be MBR?

Also we usually have 'WD USB ...' entry when using 'EUFI' boot option, but now that entry doesn't display anymore. What could be the reason(s) for that?

Thursday, December 14, 2017 2:09 AM

All replies

• How are you formatting your USB hard drive? Keep in mind that UEFI boot supports only FAT32 partitioning scheme as it lacks support for NTFS partitions. This works as long as your install.wim is smaller than 4GB. If it is larger, you could always create a two partitions layout. I can provide the details if required.

Cheers,
    Anton

Vacuum Breather Blog | Wing Commander Saga | Twitter

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

Thursday, December 14, 2017 12:13 PM
  • Thanks for your replying Anton. We used two partitions layout. I believe my key question is if we can use GPT type HD to boot Win10 ISO content while 'Disk Type' is selected as MBR. If that is ok, then we should look something else to troubleshoot.
    Thursday, December 14, 2017 4:06 PM
  • Also, in the case (boot USB with GPT, and target disk type marked as 'MBR' by MDT), which option ('Legacy' vs 'EUFI') should we use in BIOS boot sequence?
    Thursday, December 14, 2017 4:29 PM
  • How are you formatting your USB hard drive? Keep in mind that UEFI boot supports only FAT32 partitioning scheme as it lacks support for NTFS partitions. This works as long as your install.wim is smaller than 4GB. If it is larger, you could always create a two partitions layout. I can provide the details if required.

Cheers,
    Anton

Vacuum Breather Blog | Wing Commander Saga | Twitter

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

You can split the WIM to make it work with a FAT32 partitioning scheme.

1. In your deployment share, in the file system, navigate to the Control folder.

2. In the Settings.xml file, enable split image support by changing the SkipWimSplit value to False. Like this:

<SkipWimSplit>False</SkipWimSplit>

https://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/543/Splitting-WIM-images-in-MDT-2013-Update-2
    • Edited by JoseEspitia Thursday, December 14, 2017 8:09 PM
    Thursday, December 14, 2017 8:08 PM
  • Thanks for your replying Anton. We used two partitions layout. I believe my key question is if we can use GPT type HD to boot Win10 ISO content while 'Disk Type' is selected as MBR. If that is ok, then we should look something else to troubleshoot.
    Yes you can use a GPT HD.  Just make sure to partition your USB drive the same.  (I would recommend using Rufus to do this)
    Thursday, December 14, 2017 8:13 PM