Email Flow doubt in Hybrid " Exchnage 2016 Hybrid" RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Team

I am having the doubt about the email flow in hybrid environment with exchange 2010 and exchange online (O365)

. When someone sends an email from on-prem exchange 2016 server . it going over to send connector (Internet) from there normally goes to EOP --> rest of the world

but I can see here - it goes to send connector -->picks any of the source server ---> FDQN ---> EOP

FQDN : specify the FQDN this connector will provide in response to helo or ehlo

is this mandatory to specifiy the FQDN. in My case the FDQN looks like : hyd.ext.com.lifedream.com which IP is public

In my header of the email sent from on-prem to external) showing as

hyd.ext.com.lifedream.com  to EOP . Tracer ting the hyd.ext.com.lifedream.com  from server it goes to one of source servers.

my doubt is why do we need to mentioned FQDN here during the email routing, Normal t should be blank Only.

is that Public IP belongs to FQDN (hyd.ext.com.lifedream.com)  like works like VIP in load Balancer or DNS round robin - - This is my assumption

• Edited by rush2ramki Wednesday, August 29, 2018 1:17 AM X
    Wednesday, August 29, 2018 1:15 AM

All replies

• Hi Rush2ramki,

According to your description, my understanding is that you set up your email server to relay mail to the Internet via Office 365, so, on your Exchange server, need to configure a Send connector to send email via a smart host to Office 365. The FQDN (hyd.ext.com.lifedream.com) is the smart host to send email to Office 365, you can use the public ip directly instead of FQDN also.

Best Regards,
    Niko Cheng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Niko.Cheng Friday, August 31, 2018 9:40 AM
    Thursday, August 30, 2018 9:06 AM
  • Hi ,

I'm just writing to check how's everything going? If you have any questions or needed further help on this issue, please feel free to post back. If the issue has been resolved, please mark the helpful replies as answers, this will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well. Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,
    Niko Cheng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, September 4, 2018 2:24 AM