none
User is in SharePoint "Project Managers" group and should not be RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am currently trying to understand what is causing this inconsistency in user permissions between Project Server and SharePoint.

According to the description of this group, it says "users who have Save Project permission".

Unfortunately, I have yet to find any explicit rule that tells me what precise permission actually causes a user to be put into this SharePoint group, however the most reasonable guess would be the "Save Project to Project Server" permission.

The "Save Project to Project Server" option is not enabled for this user, but he is in the sharepoint PM group.

Why??!??!?

Monday, April 15, 2013 11:06 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Review users permission using following TechNet Article

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj219510.aspx

Hrishi Deshpande – Senior Consultant DeltaBahn
    Blog | < | LinkedIn

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, April 15, 2013 3:20 PM
  • Well, maybe there have been some nice improvements with 2013, I don't know.  Unfortunately I do not anticipate that we will be on that platform in the near future.

We are with PS 2010, which as far as I know does not provide the features and functionality described in the linked article.

But thanks anyway.

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 5:47 AM
  • So let me see if I have this straight.  There is no way to determine the rule for this?  No formal MS documentation, no forum anywhere that can confirm it, no user manual?  Nothing, no one?

Project Server makes up these SharePoint groups and the ONLY information I can possibly derive which tells me how it decides what people go into these groups is based on the fluffy text description of the SharePoint Group.  That's it.  I have not found any precise, detailed explanation anywhere.

"Users who have published this project or who have Save Project permission in Microsoft Project Server" is all I have to go on.

Can nobody confirm precisely which user permission determines how someone gets thrown into this group?

Because I have a user with neither publish nor save permissions, who is in this group.  This does not make sense.

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 2:23 PM
  • Nico:

The Project Server labeled SharePoint groups for 2010 are the ones that Project Server syncs the users to. Our other conversation indicates that you want to break this anyway. All you have to do is open the SharePoint groups to see what permissions they have.

The Project Manager's group is akin to the SharePoint Designer group. A project manager gets added to this group for a site when the PM publishes the project and the system provisions the site. The sync system keeps them there. The team members group has contributor access, the Executive group has reader access. These use SharePoint permissions only, nothing new hiding under there.

Indeed, 2013 is very different if you run in SharePoint permissions mode.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 9:14 PM
  • Yes Gary, 'tis true I will be mucking about with the whole permissions setup soon (after I return from holiday - not the best thing to do before one disappears for a week!).

I hope that I will be able to accomplish all and completely remove (or render permissions null) all the 'project server' related SharePoint groups without any undue impact on any permissions for Project Server pages and parts.

In any case though, I am still incredibly curious to understand how this mechanism works in case I will need to use these groups.

Your explanation is appreciated however I think it misses the mark.  I am not even referring to site provision and syncing.  Just the basic group, period.  Membership changes immediately.  When I change a test user's group to be in/out of the PM group, that test user appears/disappears from the "Project Managers" sharepoint group immediately.

However I am still at a loss to understand how this one user is in this group since he has no project save or publish permissions, and he has never published a project or provisioned a site.

Thursday, April 25, 2013 2:02 PM