none
Remove Hyper-V from Server 2019 RRS feed

• Question

• I am setting up a MS Serer 2019 for Remote Desktop Services.  The Hyper-V feature was also install.  I am getting errors with RDS when trying to connect remotely.  From reading other MS Forums, multiple posts state that I need to remove the Hyper-V feature to allow RDS to work correctly.  

I have tried to remove the Hyper-V feature using the Server Manger GUI as well as using PS as admin (Remove-WindowsFeature Hyper-V).  I have stopped all Hyper-V services before uninstalling, all fail.  During the reboot, the server will start removing software and then fail, roll back and when I log in, Hyper-V is still installed.

Thank you in advance.

Kyle

Saturday, March 28, 2020 4:29 AM

All replies

• Hi Kyle,

Hyper-V should get removed properly from the Server Manager or via PowerShell without any issues.

If you have any virtual machines, make sure to stop them or then export them to somewhere else and then remove them from the Hyper-V Manager.

Another thing to try is to delete Virtual Switches to get past some possible issues.

When Hyper-V removes itself, it extracts the hypervisor and tries to put everything back. There are some drivers that can interfere with this process as well as many anti-virus packages.

If all of these are not helping, you should simply consider a clean install of the server which would most likely save you some time.

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Saturday, March 28, 2020 8:47 AM
  • Thank you for the reply.  I will try to delete the Virtual Switch and try again.  I am wondering if staring from scratch will be best but I have users and computers joined to the AD.  

Thanks 

Kyle

Saturday, March 28, 2020 9:45 PM
  • "but I have users and computers joined to the AD."

Does that statement mean that you were attempting to have Active Directory, RDS, and Hyper-V all installed on the same physical instance?  Not recommended at all.  It is almost always recommended to have AD by itself, Hyper-V by itself, and RDS by itself.  If you have limited hardware, it is best to set up the physical machine with Hyper-V and then run AD and RDS as virtual machines on that host.

If you resort to rebuilding, it is not that hard to retain the current AD.  Stand up another domain controller.  This can even be a VM running on Hyper-V on a Windows 10 machine.  Move all the FSMO roles to the new domain controller and then remove the current one from the domain.  Then you can rebuild the Windows Server machine, first ensuring that the system is supported by the version of Windows Server you plan to run (windowsservercatalog.com).  Then install Hyper-V.  Use Hyper-V to create another another VM domain controller and then build another VM to host your RDS.

tim

Sunday, March 29, 2020 1:03 PM
  • Hi,

I prefer to perform a clean install. 

And as Tim said, we do not recommend installing any other roles or applications on the DC.

To retain your current AD, you can move it to a new server.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/37887.migrate-domain-controller-from-windows-server-2012-r2-to-windows-server-server-2016.aspx

Best Regards,

Daniel

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact

Monday, March 30, 2020 5:50 AM
  • Hi,

I am writing here to confirm current situation.

If the above suggestion are helpful to you, please be kind enough to "mark it as an answer" for helping more people.

Regards,
    Daniel

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact

Friday, April 3, 2020 7:13 AM