Installing WSUS role on Windows2012 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, Hope you can help us out in configure WSUS on Windows2012 R1, I followed the link below and we ran into a wall around setep#13

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh852338(v=ws.11).aspx

Fatal Error: Cannot find system setting. Please check setting name.
    Parameter name: IISTargetWebSiteIndex

Appreciate sharing us info on how to get around this error.

Friday, May 5, 2017 8:22 AM

Answers

• Hi,
    As far as i know, it is DWORD, regarding to determin the IIS site ID, the easiest way to determine the site ID is to look at the logging configuration. Most log files would look like either of these examples:

W3SVC1: Indicates the default site identifier of 1

W3SVC385401: Indicates a site identifier of 385401

385401 seems to be the site ID, and you could set it as the vaule for IISTargetWebsiteIndex registry.
    Best Regards,
    Wendy Jiang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Proposed as answer by Wendy Jiang Monday, May 15, 2017 11:52 AM
    • Marked as answer by jkcc2173 Thursday, June 1, 2017 4:08 AM
    Thursday, May 11, 2017 2:09 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    It seems that the error is happening in the Post Deployment Configuration task, in this case, please go to server manager to check a temp log file which contains detail information about the error, you could follow the blog as below to have a try:
    WSUS Post Deployment Configuration Fails on Windows Server 2012
    https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/reshard_sharps_blog/2013/08/18/wsus-post-deployment-configuration-fails-on-windows-server-2012/
    And as far as I know, there is IISTargetWebsiteIndex registry under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Update Services\Server\Setup , its value is IIS site ID, you could check if the registry exists or not, and I think you could check if everything is fine on your IIS aspect.
    Best regards, 
    Wendy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, May 8, 2017 6:57 AM
  • Upon checking HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Update Services\Server\setup, THe IISTargetWebsiteIndex is not set.  How do I set this?  should it be Key,string, binary, dword or qword?  And how do I determinte the value of IIS site ID? 

Tuesday, May 9, 2017 3:52 AM
  • Hi,
    As far as i know, it is DWORD, regarding to determin the IIS site ID, the easiest way to determine the site ID is to look at the logging configuration. Most log files would look like either of these examples:

W3SVC1: Indicates the default site identifier of 1

W3SVC385401: Indicates a site identifier of 385401

385401 seems to be the site ID, and you could set it as the vaule for IISTargetWebsiteIndex registry.
    Best Regards,
    Wendy Jiang

• Marked as answer by jkcc2173 Thursday, June 1, 2017 4:08 AM
    Thursday, May 11, 2017 2:09 PM
  • Hi,

I am checking how the issue is going, if you still have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

And if the replies as above are helpful, we would appreciate you to mark them as answers, and if you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be greatly helpful to others who have the same question.

Appreciate for your feedback.
    Best regards,

Wendy

Monday, May 15, 2017 11:52 AM
  • It seem to work now, after setting IISTargetWebsiteIndex  :385401 

The WSUS Configuration Wizard just came up running, will let know later

• Proposed as answer by Wendy Jiang Monday, May 22, 2017 2:08 AM
    Thursday, May 18, 2017 4:20 AM
  •  

Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. And if the replies as above are helpful, we would appreciate you to mark them as answers, please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Wendy

Monday, May 22, 2017 2:07 AM
  • Hi again, I've got the WSUS synchronizing with WindowsUpdate, and like to seek further assistance.

I got two windows2012 server that I want to run updates with WSUS, namely CHSIDBDVM1 and CHSIDBD1.

On CHSIDBDVM1, this server is an AD controller, while CHSIDBD1 is only a server join to the domain.  Both are not yet enforce with group policy in an OU container.  Can I just use the local group policy editor to configure the update?  As mentioned in section 3.4 of the link below.

https://technet.microsoft.com/library/hh852346.aspx#BKMK_ConfigComputerGroups

Thursday, June 1, 2017 4:28 AM
  • Hi, 
    For CHSIDBD1, you could have a try to edit the group policy locally, but for the DC CHSIDBDVM1, you might need to link the GPO to the DC container instead of configuring on local.
    Best regards, 
    Wendy

Friday, June 2, 2017 7:08 AM
  • ok thanks

Am trying initially on a client windows 7 or 8.1 computer, I use gpedit to enable Configure Automatic Updates , and have specified intranet update location to http://172.20.0.34:8530

It doesnt seem to work......

Does each update(critical/important) has to approved for the update to install on the client computer?

Thursday, June 8, 2017 4:16 AM
  • Hi,
    Yes, only approved updates could be synced to clients and isnatlled.
    Best regards, 
    Wendy

Monday, June 12, 2017 3:00 AM