none
Project 2010 Assignment Owner RRS feed

• Question

• I need to set up an administrative assistant to enter time on behalf of an executive.  I have made the Admin Assistant the Assignment Owner for the single task assigned to the executive, and I have saved and republished the plan.  However, the admin assistant is not seeing the task on her PWA "my tasks" screen.  What are the steps I need to take (as a Project Administrator) to enable the executive's task to show up on the admin assistant's list of tasks?  NOTE:  Under "My Work" we only have "Timesheet" as an available selection and in that view we do not have "assignment owner" as one of the fields.  Is that the problem?  Do I need to create a new view in order to make this visible to her?
    Wednesday, November 12, 2014 2:22 PM

All replies

• Hi Janet,

It shouldn't be a view issue. Do you have the Single Entry Mode activated?

First check the following:

• Is the publish job successful (no error message in the queue)?
    • No the "publish" column value for the assignment set to "Yes"?
    • Is the booking type set to "committed"?
    • Is the assistant looking at the right period?
    • Is there some work on the given assignment?

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 2:31 PM
  • We do have Single Entry mode activated.  Is that the issue?  The publish is successful, the publish column is yes, booking type is committed, assistant is looking at the current period although she will need to enter for prior periods beginning 11/3.  There is definitel work assigned to the executive.  FYI, other executives (who enter their own time) are also on this task.
    Wednesday, November 12, 2014 2:35 PM
  • If you changed the assignment owner AFTER the timesheet was created then it is normal that it doesn't show up in the assistant timesheet. In this case, you need to insert manually the task, but it should show up automatically when she'll create new timesheets. Can you check this?

Then just a question: you have the SEM activated but you mention that the assistant goes to "my tasks". This is kind of contradictory since the task update is send from the timesheet page. Thus "my task" should not be used with the SEM, only "my timesheet".

Hope this helps,

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 2:40 PM
  • Hi Guillaume, 

I went back to the beginning of November (to an already submitted timesheet that i recalled) and tried to insert the task but it gave me only the option to choose a different task that the admin assistant is already assigned to.  Do I need to assign the executive task to the admin assistant also?  (don't really want to do that).    Regarding your question, it is "my timesheet" not "my tasks".  

Thanks.

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 2:56 PM
  • Sorry to bump into the thread, just trying to offer one more thought.

Can you check if you have a filter set on the Timesheet view? Like Incomplete Tasks or Newliy Assigned tasks, that could be hiding it from the view?

Cheers,

Prasanna Adavi, Project MVP

Blog:   Podcast:    Twitter:    LinkedIn:   

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 3:00 PM
  • No you don't need to assign the assistant to the task, just set her as the assignment owner as you did. As far as you describe, you did it well thus there must be a glitch somewhere..

Can you post a screenshot of your assignment in MS Project Pro? Dumb question: are you sure the assignment on the assistant has been done on an enterprise resource and not on a local resource (this is quite common..)?

Also try to run a delegation session for the executive and check if you see the assignment in the timesheet.

Can you try to create a brand new timesheet for the assistant in a period of the executive assignment?

Hope this helps,

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 3:02 PM
  • Hi

You can run the below query to check if the assignment owner is changed to new user in the database. Run the query against the publish database (change the project GUID before running the query)

select a.TASK_NAME, a.RES_UID_OWNER, b.res_name from msp_assignments a, MSP_RESOURCES b where a.RES_UID_OWNER = b.res_uid
    and PROJ_UID = 'EF5324E8-63AB-42AD-A795-9CE351AFC17E'

On the affected project add column Assignment Owner and change Assignment Owner to some other user (may be your user account) save/publish the project then change the Assignment Owner to correct user, save/publish the project and check the behavior.

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 3:03 PM
  • Hi Prasanna, thanks for commenting.  No filter is on the Timesheet view.
    Wednesday, November 12, 2014 3:06 PM
  • I did check and the assistant was chosen from the enterprise resource pool.  I could do a delegation I'm sure, we've used that before successfully.  I was just trying to avoid having to go set that up on his laptop (and disturbing him).  But if I have to do that I will.  (I did try the new timesheet creation and it didn't work.)  I guess for now I'll just arrange to set up the delegation.  Thank you Guillaume for taking the time to try to help with this.
    Wednesday, November 12, 2014 3:13 PM
  • Hi Janet,

I was talking about the delegation just to see if the executive sees the assignment without disturbing him. The objective is to check if the assignment itself is causing trouble.

Hope this helps,

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 3:19 PM