Something wrong with ias.xml file... RRS feed

• Question

• The network policy server service will not start. I have narrowed the problem to the ias.xml file. If I remove it and run "netsh nps reset config" a new ias.xml file is created and the service will start. However, all of the RADIUS clients and policies are no longer there. Is there a way that I can fix the old file so that I don't lose the configuration? Or, is there a way to copy the clients and policies out of the old file into the new one?

Wednesday, April 6, 2016 5:45 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the response. I have already tried that and the problem did not go away. But, I did get it fixed, mostly. The problem turned out to be some bad syntax in one of the network policies. So, when I did the import, I was re-importing the problem. Using XML Notepad, I removed a group of policies from the ias.xml file that one of our technicians had recently setup and the problem went away. Today I will add the policies that I removed one by one until I find the troublemaker. Once I've located it, I will permanently delete that policy and re-create it from scratch.
    • Marked as answer by Mike.Morgan Thursday, April 7, 2016 1:30 PM
    Thursday, April 7, 2016 1:30 PM

All replies

• Hi Mike,

You could export the configuration before you reset,then import it when you finished resetting.

Best Regards,

Cartman

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 7, 2016 3:13 AM
  • Thanks for the response. I have already tried that and the problem did not go away. But, I did get it fixed, mostly. The problem turned out to be some bad syntax in one of the network policies. So, when I did the import, I was re-importing the problem. Using XML Notepad, I removed a group of policies from the ias.xml file that one of our technicians had recently setup and the problem went away. Today I will add the policies that I removed one by one until I find the troublemaker. Once I've located it, I will permanently delete that policy and re-create it from scratch.
    • Marked as answer by Mike.Morgan Thursday, April 7, 2016 1:30 PM
    Thursday, April 7, 2016 1:30 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Thank you for sharing.

Best Regards,

Cartman

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 8, 2016 1:11 AM