New template - Do not want title to be overwritten by e-mail subject RRS feed

• Question

• I have created a service account, a connector for this account and a template. An e-mail sent to the service account creates a service request in service manager, and it applies the template almost like I want it to. However the title in the template is always overwritten by the requestor's e-mail subject. How can I keep the title and simply append the requestor's subject in the template?

Thank you.

Kthxbai

Friday, June 5, 2015 7:08 AM

Answers

• Hi,

now its getting clear to me also. I have an idea, but have not tested the approach yet. Here is what you can try:

1. Under Library -> Lists -> Incident Source you can define different sources for the different service accounts respectively connectors. Example: "E-mail Roomservice", "E-Mail Event", etc.ct.

2. Afterwards you can configure one incident template for each source. Example "Incident Template E-Mail Roomservice", "Inicident Template E-Mail Event", etc.

3. You can configure each template for its respective connector. That way the incidents from the different connectors will be generated from different templates and will have different sources. 

4. You can then configure a workflow, that will simply have the same [Incident] Status equals Active and [Incident] Source equals "E-mail Roomservice" for example. And this workflow will apply only to those incidents. 

I will be able to test this scenario tomorrow, but if you have the time, please share your results.

Regards,

Stoyan (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" where applicable. This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognizes useful contributions. Thanks!)

Friday, June 5, 2015 2:17 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You can put some placeholders in the template's title or simply predefine your title in the template. Please take a look at the following post:

Service Manager 101 - Focus on Incident Management
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/antoni/archive/2012/08/13/service-manager-101-part-1-incident-management.aspx

Under "8) Create (Incident) Templates" You can see how it looks like. After you have done this and you sent the mail to SCSM, the title won't be changed to the mail's subject and will remain as it is in the template instead. 

Regards,

Stoyan (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" where applicable. This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognizes useful contributions. Thanks!)

Friday, June 5, 2015 8:13 AM
  • OK, just so there are no misunderstandings: What I put between [brackets] will stay in the field, and not be overwritten by the e-mail subject?

I have already defined a title in the template's title, but it is being overwritten by the e-mail subject.

Kthxbai

Friday, June 5, 2015 8:27 AM
  • Hi,

I should have explained better. Initially after you have sent the mail and it is picked up by the Exchange Connector a template is being applied and that is the template, which you have defined in the Properties of the Exchange connector. Still, mo matter what Title do you put in this particular template, you will still have the email's subject in the title, when the incident is being crated.

So what you need to do is create a workflow (Incident Event workflow configuration), which will then apply the desired template on its turn after the incident has been opened (Status is Active). The criteria could look like this:

You can also configure a notification template, so that the Affected User gets notified when the Incident is created.

So what will happen is that the Exchange connector will create a incident with the subject of the mail as a title and then the workflow will kick in and apply the desired template, where you have the title as you wish.

Hope this helps. Regards,

Friday, June 5, 2015 9:20 AM
  • Thank you, mr. Chalakov - Your help is much appreciated. 

While I do understand where you are getting at, I don't think it will work. I am in the progress of setting up the critera as you describe, but then I come to think.. This will affect other e-mails as well, right? The service account and template I have set up now is not the only one in the system. We have several other service accounts which generate cases in our service manager. 

If I were to enable a workflow, where the criteria is "Source=E-mail", this will affect all cases with source e-mail. And not just this one service account I recently created. I need to pinpoint the criteria so it does not affect the other cases from other service accounts..

Kthxbai

Friday, June 5, 2015 12:09 PM
  • Hi,

I was not aware that the requirement applies only for a specific service account, but I think I can help you with that also. You just have to add one additional criteria like this:

and you have to specify the name of your account. It is entered as an Affected User when a mail is sent from it and when you put a criteria like this then this workflow will only apply to this specific account. Please test and post if this is working for you. Please mark the post as "Answered" if this is the case. Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Friday, June 5, 2015 12:32 PM
  • Sure, I will try this.

However, when I send test-emails to the service account and look the cases up in Service Manager, I don't see the service account as affected user. The affected user is whoever sent the e-mail..

Kthxbai

Friday, June 5, 2015 1:12 PM
  • Hi,

You are completely right about "The affected user is whoever sent the e-mail.." I've interpreted the requirements in a different way: that you sent mails from specific service account and you want the templates to apply only to mails from this specific account. 

Can you be more specific on this statement:

"The service account and template I have set up now is not the only one in the system. We have several other service accounts which generate cases in our service manager. "

Which are the other service accounts, which are generating the incidents? How are they involved in the process?

Regards,

Friday, June 5, 2015 1:28 PM
  • As English is not my first language, I might express myself a bit clumsy.

For instance, the connector and service account which I set up just recently, which is called "Roomservice". When sending an e-mail to Roomservice it creates a service request using a template for Roomservice, and the cases are assigned to the Roomservice-group.

Example of another already existing connector and service account, called "Event". E-mails sent to service account Event, would generate a service request, and it would be assigned to the Event-group.

If I were to enable a workflow that would start if Source=E-mail, then e-mails to both these service accounts would trigger the same workflow. Correct?

Kthxbai

Friday, June 5, 2015 1:47 PM
  • Hi,

now its getting clear to me also. I have an idea, but have not tested the approach yet. Here is what you can try:

1. Under Library -> Lists -> Incident Source you can define different sources for the different service accounts respectively connectors. Example: "E-mail Roomservice", "E-Mail Event", etc.ct.

2. Afterwards you can configure one incident template for each source. Example "Incident Template E-Mail Roomservice", "Inicident Template E-Mail Event", etc.

3. You can configure each template for its respective connector. That way the incidents from the different connectors will be generated from different templates and will have different sources. 

4. You can then configure a workflow, that will simply have the same [Incident] Status equals Active and [Incident] Source equals "E-mail Roomservice" for example. And this workflow will apply only to those incidents. 

I will be able to test this scenario tomorrow, but if you have the time, please share your results.

Regards,

Friday, June 5, 2015 2:17 PM
  • Thank you very much. Because of the weekend I have not been able to test your suggestion. I will try now and report back.

Kthxbai

Monday, June 8, 2015 7:39 AM