Using the -exclude switch for a DPM 2010 BMR RRS feed

• Question

• i have searched through the other forums, and can not really find what i need.

i have dpm2010 in my lab on server 2008R2

i have a server i am trying to do a BMR to on Win2008r2.  i have edited the bmrbackup.cmd file with the following line.

wbadmin.exe start backup -include:C: -exclude:c:\windowsimagebackup,C:\ConfigMgr_vNext_Beta_ENU_7469.exe,c:\temp, -quiet -backuptarget:%1

basically i got rid of -allcritical and added -include:c: and -exclude:xxxxxxxxx etc..

regardless of the items i chose to exclude  (to make things simple, let us pretend that i only chose to excluse c:\temp)

Here is the dilemma.  I am able to perform a successful BMR of the server.  I can even restore the files with no issues.  issues occur when i try to restore the BMR after booting into repair mode on the server i want to "restore" from this image.

i have tried the following 

restored the bmr for the selected date to another drive letter on the dpm server (i took some of the unallocated disk and make a 100gb partition called H:\

on the H:\ drive where i restored the BMR i opened the folders of the restored item and navigated two folders deep.   (this will take me to the WindowsImageBackup folder)

i copied this folder to an external usb hard drive.

i booted into the repair console and chose to restore windows from an image.  it can not find the files on the usb drive.

i then followed the steps from this site to do a network based restore of the image.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2010/05/12/performing-a-bare-metal-restore-with-dpm-2010.aspx

so, on the H:\ drive were i restored the BMR, i went one level deep and renamed the DPM_Recovered....  folder to exchange1 (as to make the WindowsImageBackup folder as a root folder if you went to the share \\labdpm\exchange1)

i then shared the folder with everyone and also use advanced sharing and gave everyone full control.

i booted the server i wanted to image into the repair console. i chose that I wanted to restore windows from an image.  i chose advanced and i selected the network option. i was prompted for a path, so i typed \\labdpm\exchange1  it prompted me for creds, so i put in the creds.

sometimes i would get an error "an internal error occured while enumerating backup sets", sometimes it would return to the screen with the list of recovery images, but it would actually not return any items. it would be blank.

The last thing i tried so far, was running windows server backup local on the exchange server i am trying to image. i chose a one time backup and selected only the baremetal (which also checked system state, system reserved and all of the c:\ disk)  i had it write to the same external hard drive. it either overwrote or appeneded the files from the previous windowsimagebackup folder that already existed.

when i booted the server into the repair console and chose restore from an image, it found the image with no issue.  (i did not try to restore the image)

please, what am i doing wrong.  can this be done with the -exclude command properly.

and help/advice/guidence would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ian

Ian

• Edited by The_Krayze Wednesday, September 5, 2012 8:56 PM
    Wednesday, September 5, 2012 8:53 PM

Answers

• Hi,

For a valid BMR backup, you need to add the system volume and -systemstate switch as follows:

You need to ADD the system partition by using mountvol.exe to get the volume guid, and add it to the include.

C:\Windows\system32>mountvol
    Creates, deletes, or lists a volume mount point.

MOUNTVOL [drive:]path VolumeName
    MOUNTVOL [drive:]path /D
    MOUNTVOL [drive:]path /L
    MOUNTVOL [drive:]path /P
    MOUNTVOL /R
    MOUNTVOL /N
    MOUNTVOL /E

path        Specifies the existing NTFS directory where the mount
                    point will reside.
        VolumeName  Specifies the volume name that is the target of the mount
                    point.
        /D          Removes the volume mount point from the specified directory.
        /L          Lists the mounted volume name for the specified directory.
        /P          Removes the volume mount point from the specified directory,
                    dismounts the volume, and makes the volume not mountable.
                    You can make the volume mountable again by creating a volume
                    mount point.
        /R          Removes volume mount point directories and registry settings
                    for volumes that are no longer in the system.
        /N          Disables automatic mounting of new volumes.
        /E          Re-enables automatic mounting of new volumes.

Possible values for VolumeName along with current mount points are:

\\?\Volume{05abb0d4-759d-11e0-a684-806e6f6e6963}\
            *** NO MOUNT POINTS ***

\\?\Volume{c8d8cd04-c8b6-11de-8261-806e6f6e6963}\
            C:\

Then test it by running: wbadmin start backup -systemstate -include:c:,\\?\Volume{05abb0d4-759d-11e0-a684-806e6f6e6963}\ -backuptarget:\\Server_name\BMRShare

Once completed, use the following to make sure is says it's good for BMR restore.

C:\>wbadmin get versions -backuptarget:\\Server\BMRSHARE
    wbadmin 1.0 - Backup command-line tool
    (C) Copyright 2004 Microsoft Corp.

Backup time: 2/21/2012 5:13 PM
    Backup location: Network Share labeled \\Server\BMRSHARE
    Version identifier: 02/21/2012-23:13
    Can recover: Volume(s), File(s), Application(s), Bare Metal Recovery, System State

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, September 10, 2012 11:54 PM

All replies

• Hi,

For a valid BMR backup, you need to add the system volume and -systemstate switch as follows:

You need to ADD the system partition by using mountvol.exe to get the volume guid, and add it to the include.

C:\Windows\system32>mountvol
    Creates, deletes, or lists a volume mount point.

MOUNTVOL [drive:]path VolumeName
    MOUNTVOL [drive:]path /D
    MOUNTVOL [drive:]path /L
    MOUNTVOL [drive:]path /P
    MOUNTVOL /R
    MOUNTVOL /N
    MOUNTVOL /E

path        Specifies the existing NTFS directory where the mount
                    point will reside.
        VolumeName  Specifies the volume name that is the target of the mount
                    point.
        /D          Removes the volume mount point from the specified directory.
        /L          Lists the mounted volume name for the specified directory.
        /P          Removes the volume mount point from the specified directory,
                    dismounts the volume, and makes the volume not mountable.
                    You can make the volume mountable again by creating a volume
                    mount point.
        /R          Removes volume mount point directories and registry settings
                    for volumes that are no longer in the system.
        /N          Disables automatic mounting of new volumes.
        /E          Re-enables automatic mounting of new volumes.

Possible values for VolumeName along with current mount points are:

\\?\Volume{05abb0d4-759d-11e0-a684-806e6f6e6963}\
            *** NO MOUNT POINTS ***

\\?\Volume{c8d8cd04-c8b6-11de-8261-806e6f6e6963}\
            C:\

Then test it by running: wbadmin start backup -systemstate -include:c:,\\?\Volume{05abb0d4-759d-11e0-a684-806e6f6e6963}\ -backuptarget:\\Server_name\BMRShare

Once completed, use the following to make sure is says it's good for BMR restore.

C:\>wbadmin get versions -backuptarget:\\Server\BMRSHARE
    wbadmin 1.0 - Backup command-line tool
    (C) Copyright 2004 Microsoft Corp.

Backup time: 2/21/2012 5:13 PM
    Backup location: Network Share labeled \\Server\BMRSHARE
    Version identifier: 02/21/2012-23:13
    Can recover: Volume(s), File(s), Application(s), Bare Metal Recovery, System State

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, September 10, 2012 11:54 PM
  • Mike, thank you for your reply as always. I was hoping you woudl chime in.

I have performed the task with the -exclude and noticed when i perform the get versions, it only lists volumes, system state, files and applications.  but does not mention Bare Metal.

i am trying without the -exclude like your example to see if i see anything different..

i will post back when that has completed.

Ian

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 8:29 PM
  • Hi;

For creating Bare Metal backup by using wbadmin command, you should use -AllCritical switch as this switch will automatically includes any volumes that are required for Bare Metal recovery operations.

And also, please consider that while you are using -AllCritical switch, you cannot use -Exclude switch. In the other hand, Microsoft does not support excluding any data while you are creating Bare Metal backup as this action may prevent your ability to recover your system in required time.

The last note: Bare Metal backups, by default include System State, so you do not require to include it while you are backing up your system by using Bare Metal Recovery method.

Please VOTE as HELPFUL if the post helps you and remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Edited by R.Alikhani Friday, October 19, 2012 10:45 AM
    • Proposed as answer by R.Alikhani Monday, October 22, 2012 6:10 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Yegor Startsev Monday, March 18, 2013 6:26 AM
    Friday, October 19, 2012 10:43 AM