telnet port 25 close while firewall any to any open RRS feed

• Question

• hello.

I have exchange 2016 with edge server 2016.

I subcribed both of them.

My edge firewall is open any to any.

note: my client firewall is open any to any.

when i telnet port 25 for my edge.domain.lab, then i saw connecting...

why?

Wednesday, September 6, 2017 2:14 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Sorry for delay.

Based on your description, I suppose that those ports are closed on Windows firewall or firewall device. We can use Netstat to check the port status on Windows, for example: Netstat -na | find "25".

BTW, it's an Exchange forum and more focus on the issue with Exchange server, I recommend to contact your network team to double check the status of port.

Regards,

Allen Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 29, 2017 2:00 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Sorry for delay.

As we know, port 25 need to be enabled between internet and Edge server, also enable between Edge server and Hub server role (Mailbox server role in Exchange 2016).

Therefore, I want to confirm which side do you experience this issue?
    Also, ensure the proper connector is created after complete Edge subscription. 
    For your reference:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa997438(v=exchg.160).aspx#SendConnectors

Regards,

Allen Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 13, 2017 8:18 AM
  • Hi,

Any update about this issue?
    Please provide the answer as I asked, it's useful to further assistance.

Regards,

Allen Wang

Friday, September 15, 2017 3:04 AM
  • hello.

sorry for delay.

All of my firewalls off in my domain and public and private.

But i can't telnet port 25 from client to edge server.

I don't know why?

another question: 

What Rule should be created in the firewall for edge server? (in public,private and domain)

Thanks

Friday, September 15, 2017 1:01 PM
  • Hi,

How about telnet from internal Exchange 2016 server to Edge server? Please post the error if you get.

Also, do you configure Exchange server with multiple NIC interfaces?
    If so, disable useless one and check.

Regards,

Allen Wang

Tuesday, September 19, 2017 5:52 AM
  • hello.

I don't have any errors.

telnet with command prompt.

At the time of checking the port says it is closed.

My firewalls any to any open for all ports.

Why?

Tuesday, September 19, 2017 4:46 PM
  • Hello.

I just have one nic for exchange server.(intranet)

from one of client, i try telnet ed.domain.com for port 443 and 25.

it says: connecting to ed.domain.com ... could not open connection to the host, on port 443 or 25

but for port 80 i have a black screen.

This test was not performed on this mail server via a different mail server, and only through telnet.

Why are my 443 and 25 closed from client to edge server?

note: telnet from edge to exchange for port 25 and 2525 ok.

telnet from exchange to edge for port 25 and 2525 not ok.

Thanks

Friday, September 22, 2017 7:34 AM
  • Hi,

Sorry for delay.

Based on your description, I suppose that those ports are closed on Windows firewall or firewall device. We can use Netstat to check the port status on Windows, for example: Netstat -na | find "25".

BTW, it's an Exchange forum and more focus on the issue with Exchange server, I recommend to contact your network team to double check the status of port.

Regards,

Allen Wang

Friday, September 29, 2017 2:00 AM