none
Meeting Invite Automatically sent from the user mobile devices without their knowledge.

Question

• Hello All ,

In my environment i have exchange 2013 with CU15 , i have seen a weird issue where some of the meeting invites is sent automatically from the user mobiles devices without their knowledge .

Message tracking logs clearly says that those meeting invites are triggered from user mobile devices as because Clienttype = AirSync .While checking the user mobile devices model we found that it is only happening on Apple mobile devices and not for other device types .

On that sent meeting invite i could see the FROM filed looks like below

Nithya <nithya@abc.com>; on behalf of; karthick <karthick@abc.com>.But in this case user - Nithya is not having on behalf permissions over the user mailbox Karthick , But still that meeting invite was sent from the user mobile (Nithya) on behalf of karthick to other recipients in the ORG and i am not sure how this is happening without on behalf permissions in exchange .

Note :  

Just wanted to know , did anyone has faced this similar kind of issue , if so can you please let me know the fix or workaround that you guys followed to overcome this issue ?Please let me know if you need any further information's from my end to troubleshoot this issue .

Thanks & Regards S.Nithyanandham

Friday, May 12, 2017 8:24 AM

Answers

• Hello Everyone , 

We are also facing the same issue in our environment and we had opened a case with apple and we got an confirmation from Apple saying that it was addressed in IOS release (10.3.3 ) :)

Thursday, July 6, 2017 1:26 PM

All replies

• Take a look at thread: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/e6cbcf55-6d96-4b15-9386-b8713fd168d0/exchange-recurring-meetings-got-forwarded-automatically-to-attendees?forum=Exch2016CM

Here is what I received from Microsoft yesterday and also verified with Premier Support that this occurs currently within the walls of Microsoft.  I figured out a work around for at least large meetings which is in the thread above:

We have seen such issues recently with other cx where an attendee sends bulk meeting request to random users, and meeting shows as sent from the user on behalf of the meeting organizer. Which is default behavior if an attendee forwards any meeting request where he is part of a meeting req and In those cases we check message tracking log with switches -messagesubject -sender -recipient  , in recent cases we have found the client type from which email sent was AirSync. I.e. related to the mobility devices.

For you reference you can check the given Articles :

Current issues with Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync and third-party devices

https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/2563324/current-issues-with-microsoft-exchange-activesync-and-third-party-devices

Meeting invites are forwarded by an attendee

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4014990/meeting-invites-are-forwarded-by-an-attendee

Multiple meeting invites are sent to attendees

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3205555/multiple-meeting-invites-are-sent-to-attendees

Friday, May 12, 2017 3:50 PM
  • Hello Martin ,

Thanks for your reply .

I have also seen the article which is given by you .We are in a plan to follow the workaround to overcome this issue .However i just wanted to share my views on this issue .

Normal Scenario : When anyone of the attendee in the meeting invite forwards that meeting invite to someone , MicrosoftExchangeRecipientPrimarySmtpAddress will send on behalf of message only to the meeting organizer.

But in my case , without meeting organizer's knowledge specific meeting attendee was again sending that original/same meeting invite on behalf of meeting organizer to some of the attendees in that same meeting invite .

Example : On that sent meeting invite i could see the FROM filed looks like below

Nithya <nithya@abc.com>; on behalf of; karthick <karthick@abc.com>.But in this case user - Nithya is not having on behalf permissions over the user mailbox Karthick , But still that meeting invite was sent from the user mobile (Nithya) on behalf of karthick to other recipients in the ORG and i am not sure how this is happening without on behalf permissions in exchange .

Note : This issue happens only in IOS devices .

Monday, May 15, 2017 6:36 AM
  • Hello All ,

Can someone please share your views and suggestions on this issue ?

Tuesday, May 16, 2017 8:01 AM
  • I think this is the behavior many are noting.  I know this is how it evidences with me, if I snooze a recurring event, it triggers an auto-forward to attendees (sometimes with even an outdated version of the event) .  Forwarding events is a normal function of invites - you don't have to be a delegate in order to do so.

Kim

Tuesday, May 16, 2017 3:38 PM
  • Disabling POP3 and IMAP for the most affected users has been the only workaround we've found in our organization so far.
    Monday, May 22, 2017 4:58 PM
  • I just did it on our tenant and I will report what happens!

Thanks!

Wednesday, June 14, 2017 3:20 PM
  • Hello Everyone , 

We are also facing the same issue in our environment and we had opened a case with apple and we got an confirmation from Apple saying that it was addressed in IOS release (10.3.3 ) :)

Thursday, July 6, 2017 1:26 PM