none
SBS 2011 standard RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I currently built a SBS 2011 std edition and need some information regarding the setup.

We have 2 NIC cards, one will be setup with an internal static ip address.

Do i need to put a public static ip address for the second NIC card for exchange?

I also notice that when i check the domain name on the server its (mydomain.local) is that correct?

How do i get my domain.com to show there or you dont need to?

Do i need to do any configuration in exchange transport hub?

I will be point my mx records to this server.

This will be my first time installing the sbs 2011, if you have any other information that may help please let me know

Thank you

Monday, January 7, 2013 6:50 PM

Answers

• Hi,

To start with, SBS 2011 only supports a single nic configuration, please see this blog post about supported network topology http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2008/09/16/sbs-2008-supported-networking-topology.aspx

During setup you indeed only set the internal domain name (domain.local) the external domain name is set when configuring the server via the setup your internet address. Exchange is configured via the SBS wizards there is no manual configuration of Exchange.

Because this is you first installation, I have put a complete serie of installation and configuration blogs together please go through all items this will give you an idea what to expect: http://blog.ronnypot.nl/?page_id=434

Hope this helps

Regards Ronny
    -------------
    Visit my Blog or follow me on Twitter

Monday, January 7, 2013 7:01 PM
  • You need to create an A record at your hostings dns remote.yourdomain.com (or the name your entered during the setup your internet address wizard) this should point to the ip address of your router / firewall.

The MX record should point to remote.yourdomain.com, it is not recommended to use an ip address or cname record to use with a MX record. Some anti spam filters will block your email as spam when you use ip address or a cname record.

For email traffic your router / firewall should accept port 25 and send it to your SBS server.

Regards Ronny
    -------------

Monday, January 7, 2013 7:28 PM

All replies

• Hi,

To start with, SBS 2011 only supports a single nic configuration, please see this blog post about supported network topology http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2008/09/16/sbs-2008-supported-networking-topology.aspx

During setup you indeed only set the internal domain name (domain.local) the external domain name is set when configuring the server via the setup your internet address. Exchange is configured via the SBS wizards there is no manual configuration of Exchange.

Because this is you first installation, I have put a complete serie of installation and configuration blogs together please go through all items this will give you an idea what to expect: http://blog.ronnypot.nl/?page_id=434

Hope this helps

Regards Ronny
    -------------

Monday, January 7, 2013 7:01 PM
  • Thank you for the quick response.  The information on your blog is great!

For exchange on sbs 2011 all i will need to do is point my mx records from my current hosting to the sbs server correct

Monday, January 7, 2013 7:15 PM
  • You need to create an A record at your hostings dns remote.yourdomain.com (or the name your entered during the setup your internet address wizard) this should point to the ip address of your router / firewall.

The MX record should point to remote.yourdomain.com, it is not recommended to use an ip address or cname record to use with a MX record. Some anti spam filters will block your email as spam when you use ip address or a cname record.

For email traffic your router / firewall should accept port 25 and send it to your SBS server.

Regards Ronny
    -------------

Monday, January 7, 2013 7:28 PM