none
Huge amount of MSI####.tmp folders being generated into Windows\installer? RRS feed

• Question

• One of our customers is experiencing issues with drive space which is filling up on a regular basis. Unforunately he is in another country so we can't just pop around and look at the system and due to the nature of the work remote log ins are a nightmare to arrange.

It appears that the windows\installer folder is filling with huge amounts of MSI####.TMP folders, to the point that the customer is losing 100s of MB of disk space a day.

The system is not directly connected to the internet but is through their company network which is heavily fiewalled (which is why remoting in is such a pain), connectivity to the net is disabled thorugh thier company IT dept.

Any ideas on how to locate what is producing these folders and a way to stop them is greatly appreciated.

Thursday, January 16, 2014 1:20 PM

Answers

• Found the issue after we finally managed to remote in to our clients system.

Windows temp [file was filling up with a failed windows update. The update was generating 400+ Mb files each time it tried, and then failed to install. As installation wasn't completed, temporary files were not deleted.

Manually installed outstanding updates and then disabled windows automatic update (system is not connected to the net and XP isn't supported anymore anyway).

System has now stopped generating the files.

• Marked as answer by Dlnavy Tuesday, January 28, 2014 10:43 AM
    Tuesday, January 28, 2014 10:43 AM

All replies

• Just for fun I would ask them to tell you what is listed in the Startup folder.  It would not be the first time I have seen bizarre programs there.  If some automated installer is running with every reboot, it could lead to this.  I once had a support issue where the customer had copied all the icons from the desktop into the Startup folder and then was wondering why the system was crashing to a halt and reboots didn't fix anything.

Please do not read this sentence. Please ignore the previous sentence.

• Marked as answer by Dlnavy Tuesday, January 28, 2014 10:37 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Dlnavy Tuesday, January 28, 2014 10:37 AM
    Thursday, January 16, 2014 4:43 PM
  • Yeah think I will have look out of interest, always interesting to see what people have chucked in there!
    • Marked as answer by Dlnavy Tuesday, January 28, 2014 10:37 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Dlnavy Tuesday, January 28, 2014 10:37 AM
    Friday, January 17, 2014 4:41 PM
  • Found the issue after we finally managed to remote in to our clients system.

Windows temp [file was filling up with a failed windows update. The update was generating 400+ Mb files each time it tried, and then failed to install. As installation wasn't completed, temporary files were not deleted.

Manually installed outstanding updates and then disabled windows automatic update (system is not connected to the net and XP isn't supported anymore anyway).

System has now stopped generating the files.

• Marked as answer by Dlnavy Tuesday, January 28, 2014 10:43 AM
    Tuesday, January 28, 2014 10:43 AM