Outlook sending same email multiple times RRS feed

• Question

• If I put an attachment onto an email message that is larger than 1 MB, the system never stops sending it.  I've had this system send the same message over 40 times to the same person.  They eventually called me and asked me to stop. The "sent" folder never records having sent this message, and it never stops.  Seems to only happen with attachments larger than 1 MB.
    Thursday, November 16, 2017 5:51 PM

All replies

• Have seen this "message stuck in outbox" - this is what I believe.

This is generally due to the ISP. Try sending the same message using an alternate SMTP server, and try also connected to another network. The ISP truncates the connection - either due to some arbitrary size limit they set or they erroneously detected a "malicious" transmission and prematurely terminated, so Outlook never gets the ACK at the end indicating it sent okay, and thus keeps retrying. The SMTP meanwhile was able to pass along what it did receive, despite that it may not have been gracefully terminated with expected end code.

Thursday, November 16, 2017 10:56 PM
  • Hi,

Which type of email account do you use? Exchange, IMAP or POP3?

This issue could be caused due to several reasons. It often happens when you are using a virus scanner that integrates with Outlook or when your Send/Receive interval is set to a very short time. Sometimes a slow network connection may also cause this issue.

The following article provided a detailed guide to troubleshoot this issue. You may follow the instructions and see whether it helps to fix the issue:

https://www.msoutlook.info/question/multiple-email-copies-being-sent

(Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.)

Please feel free to post back with any findings.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Tuesday, November 21, 2017 9:36 AM
    Friday, November 17, 2017 9:28 AM
  • Hi,                                                                                     

Just checking in to see if the information was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 24, 2017 2:26 AM