Hyper-V VSS Writer RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

My backups are currently failing I have narrowed this down to the Hyper-v VSS Writer as when I stop the Hyper-V Virtual Machine Management service the backup succeeds.

Is there a way to disable the Hyper-v VSS writer without stopping the Hyper-V Virtual Machine Management service? Or is there a way to stop the VSS Shadow copy from using the Hyper-v VSS writer?

Thanks 

Wednesday, December 6, 2017 11:53 AM

All replies

• What backup product are you using?  There are many products that do not have the issue you are describing.

tim

Wednesday, December 6, 2017 2:34 PM
  • Hi Tim

I'm Using Mozy, I have checked the logs and see the following error:

Warning: Writer 66841cd4-6ded-4f4b-8f17-fd23f8ddc3de has no component named 19322F6E-595C-461F-8C8D-A26109F1E002
    06Dec2017 11:34:36 mozyprobackup.exe: Error: VSS timeout
    06Dec2017 11:34:36 mozyprobackup.exe: Warning: Failed GetSnapshotProperties: 80042308

I'm only backing up files and not VM's so don't really need the Hyper-v VSS Writer to be running, and as mentioned no error occurs when I stop the Hyper-V Virtual Machine Management service

thanks 

Wednesday, December 6, 2017 4:05 PM
  • Hi Ern y,

1. After some research, I didn't find a method to stop a dedicated VSS writer without stopping the whole services;

2. Please run command "vssadmin list writers" in powershell, check the Hyper-V VSS Writer's state, check if it is in health state, if not, we need to fix it.

3. You may also restart the whole server to restart all vss writers, check if it could help to fix the issue.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 7, 2017 9:18 AM
  • "as mentioned no error occurs when I stop the Hyper-V Virtual Machine Management service"

That's expected behavior.  The MMS is for management purposes and does not effect the actual running of the virtual machines.  It can be stopped and started as needed.  You can not run the GUI management interface if the MMS is down, but VMs will operate without any issues.

"I'm Using Mozy"

I would check with Mozy to see what they have to say.  They should be working within the APIs provided by Microsoft.  As stated earlier, lots of other backup vendors do not have this issue, so it might be something in the way Mozy needs to be configured, if they support your environment at all.

tim

Thursday, December 7, 2017 3:04 PM
  • Can you clarify what exactly files you're backing up? Where are they stored? Nevertheless, I think you could still try playing around the Vssadmin Command-Line that allows to manage VSS service. Focus on the Vssadmin List ShadowStorage and Vssadmin Resize ShadowStorage commands. Hope it helps!
    Thursday, December 7, 2017 7:34 PM
  • Hi Ern y,

Just to check if the above reply could be of help, if yes, you may mark useful reply as answer, if you have other concerns, welcome to feedback.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 11, 2017 3:21 AM